Need Help with 6hp tiller gears not staying engaged.

denL

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 6hp (6R79E). The gears in the tiller (part 75 on drawing)won't stay engaged to the throttle control gear (part 73). The handle can be pulled out so that the 2 gears won't engage. I can push the handle in and the gears engage which allow me to change speeds, but this is a pain when on the water. I looked at the drawing but I can't figure out how the 2 parts stay together. Any ideas?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need Help with 6hp tiller gears not staying engaged.

That was a common problem back in the early 1950's. Perhaps somebody swapped the gear/shaft assys with the old type?? The old type had stamped brass gears with flat teeth, yours should have cast bronze gears with "ball" teeth.

If it has the right parts, about the only thing that can go wrong is #88 bushing is terribly worn or substituted with the wrong part.

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Could you be mistaken? The gear on shaft #75 engages the gear on shaft #68 Which then engages gear #70 which is secured to the shaft by screw #71. There is a washer #69 in front of the #70 gear that may be missing or the #71 screw may be loose.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The OP says that the gears at the elbow joint become engaged/disengaged by pulling/pushing on the handle grip. You could completely remove the pinion gear, and that wouldn't happen.

Another, but unlikely, problem might be a grossly worn out tiller handle and/or steering bracket at the elbow hinge. I suppose you could wear it out after 30 years.

OR, the cast ball gear teeth may be broken off and only the stubs are meshing. Come to think of it, this sounds likely.

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer

type in maintaining johnson 9.9 engine on a google search, give it a min to load the images, scroll down to the tiller handle part and read, yours is the same basic design he tells you exactly what to do. cheers