Newbie Here, Need some engine help... Please... 77' Johnson 35hp

castires

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well she's all back together. I was going to turn her over tonight but when installing my throttle cable it snapped. Ugh!!!!

Now I need to find a replacement. Any ideas where and how much they run?

castires

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok I got it running a few minutes ago. I let it idle until it felt warm to the touch. The water wasn't coming out of the nipple though, but I couldn't bump the throttle to see if rpm's would get it to pump.

Any ideas? This project keeps getting better and better. :(

Re: Newbie Here, Need some engine help... Please... 77' Johnson 35hp

did you put the key in the water pump ? nsounds like a simple question but it happened to a.... a friend of mine. ok it happened to me anyway just something to check.

castires

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yes, I made sure to put the key in it. But I know what you mean about the simple things.

AlTn

Commander

did you change the grommets at the powerhead or waterpump?...if at the waterpump, which grommet did you use?...watching your video, I'd suggest getting the water level higher in your trash can, try it at just a frew inches below the exhaust relief ports as the pump may not have primed itself yet

castires

Petty Officer 3rd Class
That's a good point. I'll take it to a local lake this weekend and give it a try.

I was actually just thinking it may have been too shallow this morning.

castires

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well the build is finished! I've taken it out a few times now and it's running great!

There is one problem I can't seem to get fixed. I had to change my throttle cable due to it breaking. I went ahead and replaced the gear selector cable as well.

It changed gears with little effort and will stay engaged at lower rpm. However it will pop out of forward after accelerating if I don't hold the lever forward.

I've tried adjusting it, in both directions, and it still does it. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

kfa4303

Banned

Hi castires. Will the motor stay in gear at all speeds if/when you disconnect the cable and just put it in gear manually? If so, then the problem is in you cable, if not then the problem is in the motor. If it is a problem with the motor, first check that the shift rod linkage is properly adjusted (search the forums here for how to's). Assuming the shift rod linkage is ok, the the issue is most likely in the gear case. You may have a a worn clutch dog, which generally causes the motor to fall out of gear quite abruptly and is aptly described as being similar to hitting a submerge object. I believe your motor also has a mechanism to help the motor go into and stay in gear. I remember my old '66 33hp had one and it gave the motor a very strong, crisp shift. Check each of these one at a time and let us know what you find. This link may help you visualize how it all goes together. Just click on your particular model number for complete exploded diagrams and parts lists.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1977&hp=35

castires

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes, if I disconnect the cable it seemed to stay in gear. But when the cable is installed it pops out, unless I hold light pressure on the lever. It worked fine before I changed the cable, so I'm assuming that's the problem, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to adjust it properly.

It's sad, I rebuilt the engine, yet can't adjust a cable... Ugh!