• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone else’s topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when it’s posted at the end of someone else’s topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

1986 Johnson 70 Hp VRO Rebuild

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1986 Johnson 70 Hp VRO Rebuild

Originally posted by Haffiman View Post
    600 grit paper on your crank journals? Why not just take the grinder!!!
    DO YOU HAVE: GOOD COMPRESSION, PROPERLY TIMED SPARK, PROPER FUEL AIR MIXTURE?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	981b91a46efc95b32dbda58362a5c3eb.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	114371
      After installing the new seal in the lower head, it too was installed.

Name:	e26593fd5458068aecaa109e09cef905.jpg
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	114372
      Then, to make the rest of the work easier, I installed the mostly assembled motor onto the midsection. This allows me to work on it at a better height, rather than bending over all the time…

I have run into a slight snag. I am missing a few relatively minor parts, but the one that has me the most frustrated is one of the timer base hold down clips & screw. A friend of mine works at a local marina, and apparently they have an abundance of parts motors, but I only run into him occasionally. Next time I see him, I will see about getting the missing parts, so I can progress much further.

In the mean time, I will work on the reed plates and carburetors. Both need a good cleaning, especially the reeds & plates. I disassembled them last night (of course I forgot to take pictures; sorry!!) and I’m glad I did. I had thought about just cleaning them good with carburetor cleaner and sticking them back on the motor, but upon further inspection, found quite a bit of crud wedged deep into the voids in the blocks. So, they too got the hot water/detergent scrubbing and compressed air drying.

That’s all for now, I’ll try to do better in the future….

~ more later ~

Comment

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/how-...lf-178604.html

Comment

Originally posted by jeffersondodson561 View Post
          http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/how-...lf-178604.html

Read the 4th post down;

and I quote: "You can put oil on the emery cloth or do it dry, start with 400 and go up from there. I like to go to 1000. Its alot of work but you will like it when you finish. It takes practice to get it right, like just making sure the emery will snuggly fit into the journal and get it to make a couple turns but you’ll get it"

Yes, I know this is only one's opinion, and you can't trust everything you read on the internet, but I have done extensive reading, and talking with trusted mechanics, and all pretty much said the same: you're not going to remove even a significant amount of material with 400 wet & dry, even if you worked it for 5 minutes. It just isn't going to do it. I doubt my 30 seconds had any effect on the diameter at all; it miked out fine.....

Comment

It sounds like Haffiman knows more than anyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by maineboat View Post
              I was taught to not even use a magnet on the roller bearings because it will cause them to develop a flat spot on the bearing. The only thing you should use is crocus cloth.
              DO YOU HAVE: GOOD COMPRESSION, PROPERLY TIMED SPARK, PROPER FUEL AIR MIXTURE?

Comment

I have been really terrible about pictures, (I get to working and get excited about seeing progress, and forget) but this what I have accomplished; The intake manifold is thoroughly cleaned (carb cleaner) & washed (detergent & scalding water). I then inspected the reeds carefully and assembled the reed blocks. I stacked the reeds together in every combination possible, and none were found to be warped, twisted or bent. I reasoned that if they were piled like a deck of cards and one was bent, it would show up with an obvious gap in the "deck." I did not find any inconsistencies. I made a special trip to the auto parts store (they almo$t $eem glad to $ee me coming...) for some loc-tite blue for the reed assemblies. I then mounted the assemblies onto the intake, also with loc-tite blue, being careful to align the gasket (dry) so all the bolt & screw holes lined up. Then the whole assembly was installed on the block and torqued down.

Then I turned my attention to the carburetors. They were disassembled and carefully cleaned with spray carb cleaner. To my delight, they were not dirty at all, other than a sticky film on the outside. I also removed all the jets and welch plugs, and blew out all the passages with compressed air. Then they too got a good detergent scrubbing and hot water rinse, and compressed air again. I almost feel like I wasted my time/money on the kits for these, as they are about as simple a carb I have ever seen on a 2-storke, and very clean on the inside; but alas...they are thoroughly cleaned, re-assembled with new parts, floats adjusted and now installed on the intake.

I also decided to replace all the fuel lines between the fuel pump and the carbs. Another trip to the auto parts store, and for a couple of bucks, landed me two feet of 3/16” fuel line for the lines directly off the carbs. Then I got to looking on the internet, and found this place that has ratchet type hose clamps for a very reasonable cost.
                http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...erbieclips.php
                For less than a ‘tenner,’ I got all the clamps I need for all the interior hoses!! Now to wait for the Mail Man…….

~ more later ~

Comment

Originally posted by maineboat View Post
                  Then I got to looking on the internet, and found this place that has ratchet type hose clamps for a very reasonable cost.
                  For less than a ‘tenner,’ I got all the clamps I need for all the interior hoses!! Now to wait for the Mail Man…….

~ more later ~
                  Thanks for the link. That is the best price I've ever seen for this type of clamp. I'll probaly order $20-30 worth just to have some spares around.

Comment

Personally not a fan of those clamps.....they seem to break very easily, a pain when you trying diagnose fuel related problems.....each to their own though.
                    Ford Falcon FG G6E Turbo
                    Quintrex Lazeabout 4.5
                    Evinrude 1982 60hp

sigpic

Comment

Then I got to looking on the internet, and found this place that has ratchet type hose clamps for a very reasonable cost.
                      Personally not a fan of those clamps.....they seem to break very easily, a pain when you trying diagnose fuel related problems.....each to their own though.
                      If they're used on aircraft, I'm sure they will be OK for a boat.

Comment

Originally posted by mark1961 View Post
                        OMC (BRP) recommends using the ratcheting clamps as replacements to the 'zip' type strap clamps. They are more dependable on these smaller hoses, and are easier to install and don't need to be ridiculously tight to be effective. Besides, at $0.25 each, more or less, it's cheep enough to have a few extra on hand....

Comment

Well, I haven't accomplished much on the 'ole Johnson since the last post, until just the last few days. My hose clamps arrived shortly after New Years, but I didn't get the hoses all installed right away. I did get fuel line from the local Auto Parts store, and got all the runners cut to length. 3/16" for the carbs, and 5/16" in and out of the pump. I have settled on not hooking up the VRO, as much as I would like to. I have read several articles on the correct maintenance of the system, and though I am a believer, I just can't take the chance. This is a 25+ year old machine, and I'm not going to risk my rebuild on it. That being said, all the fuel lines are all hooked up, and ready for fuel.

Name:	938604c68d49958d9604035202b00f88.jpg
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	116666 Click image for larger version

Name:	bcc5947382a5608f2804570901e863b8.jpg
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	116667 Click image for larger version

Name:	553e31140cbfed11d7878668b6fed916.jpg
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	116668

I have installed the air box base, but have not yet put the cover on. I got a Factory Service manual from *-bay, and would like to review my work compared to what the "other" manual says; if I need to, I will back track to make sure everything is as it should be.

Comment

Over the week-end I got the "brilliant" idea to drain the lower unit, since I was pretty much at a stand-still and figured it was as good a time to get it done as any. Well, I gotta tell you, it wasn't one of my finer moments. No, I didn't spill anything, but the smell, oh, the smell! I don't know if it was just because it was old or what, (and I smelled my share of gear oil) but it pretty much filled the whole house with it's fine odor!! SWMBO was not happy with me at all; it took the rest of the day to air the house out. I have been warned within an inch of my life!! On a brighter note, however, the gear oil looked perfect!! A little dark, but no sign of water what so ever!

Name:	37bc7086423dda14bf1ed282cd93903d.jpg
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	116670

Name:	3e4ad8b6e3305fbd8e1ff235561a782f.jpg
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	116669
                            The oil looks milky, but that's only because of the white background.

The plug has a small magnet on it, and there was barely any residue on it at all. I was very pleased to say the least. Hopefully I won't forget to fill it before I try to start it or use it... I am keeping a punch-card list now, as I am nearing the end. Really sucks to be this close and have to wait 3 months or more before I can fire it up. Oh well, there is still more to do.....

Comment

Well, today I got the rest of the parts that I had been waiting for. This evening I installed the timer base and stator. I put the flywheel on, and checked TDC as instructed in the manual. I made a piston stop tool by punching out an old spark plug and putting a 1/4" carriage bolt through it and locking it with a nut. It worked perfectly.

Name:	7d3f16f6ef977277c10990c8047ba997.jpg
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	116678
                              It was only off by about 4°, so I adjusted the timing indicator as instructed. I also got the carbs sync'ed as much as I can without starting it. I don't think I'm quite dumb enough to try that trick in the house!!

Name:	721608d33cc9558322ad0301dd87f401.jpg
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	116679 Click image for larger version

Name:	3d717eb3017b843efa4decca41049205.jpg
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	116680

I'm thinking that this is almost "it" for now, but if anything else happens, I'll be sure to post. I appreciate any input, especially if anyone sees anything that I have over looked.

Thought I would also add a picture of a few visitors I had on the front lawn this afternoon. We still don't have much snow, so they can go pretty much where ever they want. I love seeing them; seems they can get very accustomed to us.....

Name:	0587f0754186d73294d6214e4ac0663b.jpg
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	116681

~ more later ~

Comment

Last edited by maineboat; January 17th, 2012, 09:07 PM. Reason: post in worng place

Comment

Working...
                                X