1977 25HP Johnson Paint color.

James R

Commander
This motor is in good shape. Lower unit rebuilt and everything else done except the paint.
Removed the crappy attempt at camo and down to the original white. However it looks like the lower unit, transom mount and tiller handle were originally Olive green. Can anyone tell me if this was the case. I have never seen a two tone like this. The number on the mount matches the welch plug number.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1977 25HP Johnson Paint color.

I had a '76 Johnson 25hp once, and it had a white cowl but the bottom pan, transom clamp, exhaust housing and lower unit, and the tiller were all olive green. I got a couple of cans of the green color from nymarine.com. Kinda pricey, but good match.

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer

77 was the year Johnson started painting them all white. Sounds like someone swapped an older lower unit on yours at some point.

James R

Commander

Thanks for the responses. This motor is all white except for the three parts mentioned. I could agree about the lower unit swap but that doesn't account for the green transom mount and tiller handle. Remember the numbers on the transom mount and the block are the same and the block is also white.
Somewhat of a puzzle. In any event I have the white paint and will repaint the complete motor.
Thanks again for all your interest.
Have lots of friends in RI. Lived on Cooper Rd Chepachet for about 9 years.

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer

I have a reverse of that situation. I have a 72 6 HP, which was painted green. Some previous owner swapped the transom clamps on mine too, so I have a green motor with white clamps. Bad part was, that person forgot to swap the ID plate, so I initially thought I had a 77. Some research on it dated it to 72.

Mine was run in salt water (was a sailboat kicker), so I can imagine why the clamps would have to get changed since they likely siezed.

James R

Commander

Devil of a job to remove all the crappy mix of paints that made up the so called camo. All painted with Johnson white with new decals now and looks as a good motor should.
Thanks for all the responses guys.

James R

Commander

I have the lower off at the moment to have a small piece welded into the cav' plate. Will post pics when done.