1950 evinrude

bigbill64

Cadet
Can anyone tell me where to get new ignition coils for a 7.5 hp 1950 evinrude? Thanks, Bill

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: 1950 evinrude

That model has the earlier style ignition system in it. You may not need coils, unless they're damaged. On those older ignition systems, the coils ususally hold up better than the later universal type. If you replace the spark plug leads and condensors first, you might find the coils come back to life and also clean and re-gap your points. If these tricks don't work, then try Sea-Way Marine, in Seattle, or Engine Blade and Prop.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Nope, 1950 was the year for those 100% failure rate coils, part number 580040. They were made of unobtanium and have been obsolete for years. Some guys are using the newer version coils (available everywhere, including here at iboats) by removing them from the laminations and installing them on the old 1950 cores. Disclaimer: I've never tried it.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Another thought too would be to replace the mag plate assembly from the 1951 model Fleetwin and puting it on your motor. I never tried this either, but it's a thought and that may work. It this case, you would be able to use the newer style coils without hassle. Chinewalker might have a better insight on this, since he successfully gets later parts and modifies them to work. I had a couple of the '51 models in the past, but not the earlier ones.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Are you sure it's a '50? What model # is it?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Can't swap the ignition from a later model either. The crankshaft is different because it has different breaker points, and the flywheel.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Darn. So that idea is out. :( I didn't think so, but it was worth exploring. You can also try the AOMCI web site. I'm willing to bet a member could help you out. Give Sea-Way Marine a call just for kicks and giggles too though. They helped me out on my HD-20 Johnson really well and it's 9 years older. But yea, you might confirm the model number as samo_ott mentioned. If nothing else, pop the flywheel and snap us a pic and we'll be able to tell you for sure if you relly do have the older ignition or the universal style, used on the later motors.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

1950 it is.

I would personally not search high and low for a NOS set of coils for it. As Frank stated, they had a pretty much 100% failure rate. There will be no guarantees that the "new" ones you get will work, nor for how long.

I would do the upgrade by using your original cores and the newer Universal style coils removed from their laminations. It will last much much longer.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Darn, and that was the only Fleetwin model with the older style coils too. Too bad they didn't use the same coils as the old TD's. Those things were practically bullet proof.
Post back how that trick with the coils workes. That'll be a good fix for other old obsolete coils as well.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Yes, too bad it's a 4434. I have several of the 4443's which have the newer coils. I also have the parts manual for the 4434 if you want it. If yes, PM me your email address and model #.l

bigbill64

Cadet

I am new to this. Could you briefly explain the procedure. Thanks, Bill

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Like I say, I've never done it, but post your question on the Ask-A-Member Forum at www.aomci.org I'll bet somebody there will post the conversion and pictures. The same magneto was used on Johnson QD-10 motors (real popular). Basically what your are doing is remove tha coil from the new style laminations and putting it on your old ones. It is put on upside down. Biggest challenge is routing the spark plug wires.

kfisherman21

Recruit

I have a model 4434 im restoring . I have discovered it is a 1950 7.5 Evinrude. Im trying to find new coils . Im certain the existing ones are bad because the casing of both of them was melted all im under the flywheel and down the block . No spark as well. Anyway omc # 588130 looks exact except there are 3 mounting holes instead of 2 . Also it look as though there for 18-25 hp evinrudes from a later date . Does anyone know what the actual omc # was and does it cross to a sieera # . Thank you so so much .

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

You might try the tricks that were in the above postings, as far as replacing the coil lamination from the later style universal coil. You can also pm bigbill64 and ask him if he attempted it and see how it worked out for him.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

What was already said in this thread still goes. The 1950 had part number 580040 coils and they are different than the newer style. Not only is it only two screws, but the shape of the laminated core is different. That is why people are removing newer style coils from their laminations and putting it on the old laminations. If you insist on the original style 580040 coils, marineengine.com has them in stock. $90 each. There is no Sierra crossover.

You are correct, the original ones all melted. If you still have those, it might be a good thing because it would mean that the motor probably hasn't been run for many years and probably has very low hours on it.