Evinrude 1998 115 SPL trim gauge wiring diagram

Ben Clegg

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi can anyone tell me how the trim gauge is wired on my 115 1998 Evinurde ?
It doesn't work, I've checked the sender pot and that's ok (although it was stuck) AND I've also replaced the wires that go from the pot to the power head. Three of them, they were melted at some point possibly due to the metal earth strap on the engine corroding away and the trim tilt motor dragging current down the earth wire to compensate the corroded earth strap. Anyway Ive fixed all that but could do with some information on how exactly the gauge is wired, then I don't have to rip all the wires out of the boat!!:eek:
Ben

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 1998 115 SPL trim gauge wiring diagram

You might find a wiring diaghram on the maxules.com web site. I had thought a single sender wire went to the trim gauge. It is therefore wired lie a fuel gauge.

BTW, I wouldn't be too concerned about the trim gauge. I have found them to be non-linear, likely non-reliable, and certainely not-accurate. I trim by the sound of the motor and the feel of the boat. Much easier and more accurate than watching trim gauge. I swapped mine out and installed a water pressure gauge. Much more useful. IMHO

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer

I would have to agree w/ chris' last comment. Guage means very little. Mine on 88spl works on lower half only I suspect sending unit but no really worried about it. I trim by feel, rpm, speed

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I've always used my ears when running the boat to find the proper trim setting and maybe look at the tach. When you come in shallow water, just look back at the position of the mtr. I can't remember the last time I looked at a t/t gauge.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Ben. Did you get that motor back together already?

Ben Clegg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ben. Did you get that motor back together already?
No way ...........the head is still in the machine shop, actually its due finished today so I can get back to rebuilding it. I've been cleaning cleaning cleaning, had a few bolts on the exhaust below at the head that snapped too. Anyway I've done all that now and was bored waiting.......hence the trim gauge question (I just don't like things not working), its never worked. It switches ground with a permanent live (once the ignition is on) so I'll just trace things now. I keep updating the post HERE on where I am and you guys are really helpful.
Next is the rev counter because that has a mind of its own too! and I am going to need it once I get to the timing setup. I might do another post for that ..........................
Cheers Ben

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The trim gauge is a two wire gauge. There are two types of trim gauges, you need to get one that works on an OMC. The Merc trim gauges work backwards from OMC. That gauge only records position when the engine is in the trim mode. Once the engine gets into the tilt mode, the gauge signal stops.