1998 evinrude 115 head gasket change

jberd321

Cadet
Found out my head gasket is blown. Got the head off, gasket came off easily, cleaned the surfaces with a plastic scraper. I will check the head on a glass plated and have it milled if necessary. But on the block side there is a pattern from the gasket in the metal of the surface. I really dont want to take the block off also, could I use emery cloth or sand paper to smoothe out the block surface? I was thinking i could use some flat bar with sand paper on it. Is this a good idea or no? Also should I do the same on the other cylinder head to keep compressions the same?

James R

Commander
Re: 1998 evinrude 115 head gasket change

You can polish the marks out if you wish but they are probably no more than a slight etching of the surface. Your fingers can tell you that. What you are proposing will not change the compressions one iota.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The 60* motors of that year and HP had Orings for head gaskets. Is that what you have? Normally you put a silicone bead around each water port on the block, install the Oring and then install the head.

I recommend you do not mess with the head or block unless you know it is not true. A brand new piece of crocus cloth on a piece of plate glass is the tool to lap the head or block, if it absoutely needs it. On the block you need to make sure any debris does not get into the cylinders.

jberd321

Cadet

Its the 90? and it definately has a gasket. I have both heads off now. One had a small hole.between cylinder the other had a larger hole. I will check both heads for warpage. My question now is if i need to resurface one due to warpage. Should i have both resurfaced.as i understand it, milling the head will increase the compression a bit. Should i have both done if i only need one?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Be careful milling the heads as if to much removed the piston will hit the top of head,on a crossflow you use a smaller chamber it top of head to increase compression as milling will not add add much (1-3 psi)

jberd321

Cadet

Ok got both heads resurfaced, they took off about .0012 off both. Used a scotch bright pad on the block and it cleaned up very well. Torqued em down to specs. Spot painted a little and took her out yesterday. Still gives me a little trouble starting sometimes and,from a stand still i have to push the throttle up slowly or it will bog down. i have to ease it up to get it going then it runs fine.I had a load of like 800 lbs with me two friends and a cooler. My boat has a recommended max of 900. i cant remember that ever happening before. Could this be the timing? Where should i start?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Might be carbs. What is your compression now?