61 Evinrude 18hp 15035 constantly pumping bulb to stay running

Eunner

Recruit
Just bought this outboard and it starts well but I need to keep pumping fuel into it. Can I clear the carb with cleaning fluid or should I pull the carb and clean it? Fuel pump? I'm sure this will be a winter project but the thing looks great for 50 years old.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: 61 Evinrude 18hp 15035 constantly pumping bulb to stay running

Nah, this won't be a project to fix. You can check it in the matter of minutes and be back in business in the same day. Just unhook the fuel line from the carburetor and put the end in a jar (after you have the fuel system charged) and start the motor. If you see fuel being pumped into the jar, then you have a different issue. If not, then your fuel pump is dead. You can also check fuel flow, while you have the fuel line disconnected. How easy is it to pump fuel through the lines? If it seems hard to pump fuel through, then you need to check andd see if there's any restrictions in the lines. Is your tank vented properly? You might try a different tank also to see if it acts any differently. Those 18's are great motors and you will get great service from it. Keep us posted and welcome to iBoats.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 61 Evinrude 18hp 15035 constantly pumping bulb to stay running

Fuel pump diaphragm is probably as hard as a board. Sorry, no replacements are available. You have to replace the whole pump. Get it here at iboats.