1959 Johnson Seahorse 5.5 Low Compression

kmk89

Seaman
I have 1959 Johnson Seahorse 5.5 HP that I have been having trouble starting and it sometimes dies out once I do get it running, so I did a compression test. I did the compression test on a cold engine (It wasn't running beforehand) and it was 55 psi in both cylinders after about 4 pulls. They are identical readings, but it seems really low to me. I recently replaced the head gasket, cleaned the cylinder heads and checked the cylinders for scoring, hot spots, etc. and it all looked good. I also took a look at the coils through the peep hole, both are badly cracked, so could that be the better reason for poor starting? Do I need to do a complete rebuild of pistons, rings, etc. to have good compression or is 55psi good enough for this engine?

kbait

Commander
Re: 1959 Johnson Seahorse 5.5 Low Compression

Cracked coils will not run for long.. as you found out. Replace coils/points/condensers (search this forum for procedure). Once you have great spark, try it again and give it a decarb (search for procedure). You may be good to go then. Good luck!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I think I would accept the 55psi for now, kmk, and get the ignition into good shape. After that you should see easier starting. Once you have her starting and running well you might retry the compression test as described in the Top Secret File.

Good luck. :)

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I'd check the head gasket, too...

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

New coils will do wonders to that motor. Replace the wires also. When you do a compression test, open the throttle up all the way and give it about 6 pulls. A 52 year old 5.5 should run okay with 55 psi. eventhough it is kinda low, but thats to be expected after this many years. A decarb should help improve it.

kmk89

Seaman

I replaced the entire ignition (points, coils, condensors, wires and spark plugs) and finally took it out on the river the other day (better late than never). It started very easy, and was pleasantly quiet too. Took it up to full throttle after letting it warm up a few minutes and seemed to have no power. It seemed like I was running 2 or 3hp motor not a 5.5hp. Any thoughts? I'm it?s the low compression or that it may only be running on one cylinder, but I am not sure how to check it.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Pull one plug wire at a time and see if you are running on both cylinders.
You might also try adjusting the high speed needle and see if that helps, might be time to overhaul the carb.