'57 Lark Restoration Update w/pics

Mas

Lieutenant Commander
It's been a long time since I updated any progress on my Lark restoration. I have been slowly working on it over the months, and I am in the process of assembly after painting in August. It's starting to look like a motor again and not just a million parts here and there that I've ben tripping over for two years. For those who remember, this Lark has a NOS powerhead that I managed to piece together from a variety of vintage part sources selling new old stock...including block, crank, pistons, rods, bearing etc.

Here are some pics...what do you think?

Mas

P1040938.jpg

P1040946.jpg

P1040951.jpg

P1040954.jpg

P1040957.jpg

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: '57 Lark Restoration Update w/pics

Really nice work. My favorite year of Lark too....eventhough I like my latest trio. :) Keep up the good work. Can't wait to see it finished.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Man, that looks like a lotta work! Nice job!

mstahl1171

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow...Super Nice work. Wanna do my new project? 1960 Lark....LOL

I hope mine turns out as nice as yours. Keep us posted with progress

Mark

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

That color matches what's on my '58.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

That color matches what's on my '58.

The gray is probably the same on the '57 & '58. I got a really good match too. I took an unfaded part to my local auto paint shop and matched with a color sample. I took both part and paint samples outside to see the "natural light" on the colors...they're very close!

Personally, I the gray is not my favorite...but I'm going with near stock as possible. I'm really happy with the pan's charcoal color. I've yet to paint the hood...I'll wait until spring when it warms back up. I've got enough to keep me going over the winter, so no big deal.

Mas

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Right on. Keep up the good work. We're cheerin' for ya. :D

lindy46

Captain

Personally, I the gray is not my favorite...but I'm going with near stock as possible. I'm really happy with the pan's charcoal color. I've yet to paint the hood...I'll wait until spring when it warms back up. I've got enough to keep me going over the winter, so no big deal.

Mas

I don't know why they used that light gray on the lower and the charcoal on the cowl/hood. I ended up painting the lower on mine the same charcoal as the hood, and I like it better. Not original, but, hey, it's my motor and I like the all-charcoal look. If I were painting it for re-sale, I'd keep it original. By the way, Nice Job!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Coming along nicely. I should start assembling a few that I have on the go...but whenever I get a "new" motor I move on to it. I dont know why I do that. I have about 10 projects on the go at all times. Makes remembering what mag plate and what gearcase goes where! lol

southkogs

Staff member

Cool - The Lake N Sea I learned to ski behind was powered by a Lark. Can't wait to see a restored hood, it had such a neat style.

nwcove

Admiral

awesome work! any tips on cleaning up the parts before paint, im just getting set up to do a cd 13, and it looks like a nightmare to prep for paint! so many nooks and crannys to get into to sand.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Can't wait to see a restored hood, it had such a neat style.

Yes...the hood is the best part of the motor...with all the chrome and metal script. Unfortunately, the hood will be the last thing I do in the spring. Like I said, I'm real happy with the charcoal color. I chose one that has an ever so slight metal flake to it. I know the original didn't use metal flake, but this only visible from very close inspection...really cool!

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

awesome work! any tips on cleaning up the parts before paint, im just getting set up to do a cd 13, and it looks like a nightmare to prep for paint! so many nooks and crannys to get into to sand.

I sand blasted all the parts prior to painting...really good adhesion. All parts were degreased using a marine bilge cleaner that was recommended by the auto paint store...worked well.

Mas

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

The best advice ever given to me was to get the parts SODA blasted.

Soda blasting is less abrasive and damaging than sand, and does a fantastic job. I have stood there sanding nooks and crannies before, but I will never do it again. Soda blasting is well worth the money.

nwcove

Admiral

how many cans of pepsi does it take to "soda blast" an engine??? :eek: ( will have to do some checking to see if theres any shop close that does soda blasting)

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Soda blasting is less abrasive and damaging than sand, and does a fantastic job. I have stood there sanding nooks and crannies before, but I will never do it again. Soda blasting is well worth the money.

My hood still needs to be stripped...it's too big for my blast cabinet...I might as well try some to soda blast since I'll have to pay anyway.

Mas

jbjennings

Captain

Mas,
Nice looking motor. I like how the bolts aren't painted. Very time consuming work. I like your choice on the metal flake. I had some '57 Holiday Bronze mixed up at the local auto paint store and had them put a little flake in it as well. I'm anxious to put it on a couple of FD-11's and a '57 7.5 johnson that I have and see how they turn out---will probably occur next summer after hunting season and spring fishing is over.
Looking forward to the finished pics. I'm jealous of the NOS powerhead!! I remember you showing it quite a while ago.
Later,
JBJ

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Mas,
Nice looking motor. I like how the bolts aren't painted. Very time consuming work. I like your choice on the metal flake. I had some '57 Holiday Bronze mixed up at the local auto paint store and had them put a little flake in it as well. I'm anxious to put it on a couple of FD-11's and a '57 7.5 johnson that I have and see how they turn out---will probably occur next summer after hunting season and spring fishing is over.
Looking forward to the finished pics. I'm jealous of the NOS powerhead!! I remember you showing it quite a while ago.
Later,
JBJ

Thanks JB,

I too like the non-painted stainless bolts/screws/acorns. You're right...more work painting...and greater possibility of scratching during re-assembling, but I took a chance and I think it paid off.

As far as the metal flake in the charcoal, I decided on the flake because the original charcoal had some 'irregularities" in the finish that could only be described as a fine 'hammer tone." I thought the slight metal flake replicated the 'hammer tone" better over straight color.

Good luck on the Johnsons...I really love the Holiday Bronze. A little metal flake would be awesome!

Mas

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Coming along nicely. I should start assembling a few that I have on the go...but whenever I get a "new" motor I move on to it. I dont know why I do that. I have about 10 projects on the go at all times. Makes remembering what mag plate and what gearcase goes where! lol

Hahahahaha don't feel alone there. I go in and out of my HD-20 from time to time but the last couple weekends, been working on my three new Larks. LOL Oh well, I was anxious to get them running, before I put them away. I might get the last one started this weekend, but it turns out, I just met a new woman. ;)