1955 Evinrude 15 hp Pull-Start Spring Replacement HELP!!

mfar777

Recruit
The spring in the pull-start broke when a potential buyer was trying to start it. I discovered this by removing the pull-start assy. and inspecting it. I ordered an new spring and intalled it. The pull-start appears to function properly with the new spring, pulls and recoils seemingly correctly off the motor. When I put it on the motor, it seems to slip, like the claw are not engaging properly. I believe I put it back together exactly hoe I took it apart, everything in the same position. When I pull the rope it come out, moves the ?-flywheel-?, a little, but mostly just the pull-start moves, then does not recoil. I removed the pull-start assy, moved the motor back to the same position, check the pull-start function, seemed ok, re-installed, same problem. What am I missing or doing wrong?

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: 1955 Evinrude 15 hp Pull-Start Spring Replacement HELP!!

I always have problems with the 3 pawl older recoils also. The newer ones have a single pawl which is easier to fix. When you rotate it the three teeth/pins need to swing out to engage the flywheel. If not, it's a finicky adjustment of which I'm not the greatest at. Hopefully someone else who has better luck with the 3 pawl ones will chip in here. There's also the top secret file at the top of the forum, check there, there might be something on it.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

There is nothing to adjust, much less be "finicky" about it. What everybody does wrong is how they go about assembling it. The #1 mistake they make is not having the friction spring preassembled up on the shoulder of the spindle before inserting the spindle into the pulley. And then don't let it hop off the shoulder before you get the center bolt in and tight.

Attachments

• Simplex Starter Equilizer Spring.jpg
    Simplex Starter Equilizer Spring.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 2

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

And that pin has to be in the hole it's intended to sit in too. I've seen a lot of those put back together with the pin pressed all the way in and not sitting in the hole correctly. Oddly enough, all the motors, 18hp and smaller went to the single pawl set up in 1956, but the Big Twin class still had the three pawl set up, through the '60's as well.

mfar777

Recruit

Thank you. I realize my mistake now. One other question, does the flywheel (or part under the pull sart assembly?) need to be aligned an specific way, like a car motor needs to be at top dead center? I don't think its been moved since I disassembled, but would be helpful to know.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

No, the flywheel does not need to be in any certain position. Think about it.... After you get the unit together, then start the engine, where's that flywheel going to be?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Hopefully, where your hands aren't LOL :D

You must be referring to the starter rachet? No certain spot. Just as long as you get all three bolted up. There are two sets of holes. One set is a smaller circle and the other is a slightly larger circle. Choose the set of three that best matches the three in the flywheel and you're good to go.