1985 Evinrude BE15BACOB white smoke problems:

Mullerhawk

Seaman Apprentice
Hi,

I have got my hands on a couple of Evinrude/Johnsson 1985 15HP engines that I am renovating. This particular Evinrude was suffering from a dirty carburator + sporadic cooling. I have changed the impeller and renovated the carb with success. The engine idles perfect and starts on a couple of pulls without hesitation, and cooling works as it should now.

But from the upper exhaust relife port it sprays a little bit of water which seems to be normal looking from reading at this site. But what is strange is that I get alot of exhaust/white smoke fumes coming up from the water - but not from the upper exhaust port. If I rev the engine it seems to be more (have only tested the engine in a barrell after going through it). I suspected it might be leakage from the head, but since the spark plugs seems normal I am wondering if this is only due to the engine not beeing run for several years.

No visible signs is seen under the cowling, and the engine sounds normal. If it is not the head gasket (have not checked compression yet!), could it be something wrong with the exhaust port gaskets (is water flowing though here?!) ??

Thankful for your input,

// Mike

raczekp1

Lieutenant
Re: 1985 Evinrude BE15BACOB white smoke problems:

hi.
look at you tube films and type johnson evinrude 9.9/15 an look how works
smoke should go threw hpper relif hole(with water if termostat opens) and threw propeler hub
if you think it smoke too much, check termostat if works(put in hot water glas).
termostat is for keeping right temp(+/- 70deg celcius) to burn exces amount of oil

Mullerhawk

Seaman Apprentice

I have another 1987 Johnson also. And from what I can see it's not spurting water our from the exhaust relife. At least not when cold. This engine starts right away to spray water from the relife port. So either the thermostat is open allways, or something else is wrong. But anyways - it should not smoke this much as this does.

I will take the engine for a test run tomorrow to see if the problems persist. Or if its old oil film getting burned of.

The problems with pre 96 engines according to http://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings is that the thermostat cover is almost impossible to remove due the the cowling latch. And removing the latch and putting it back is harder than removing the whole powerhead.

From my understanding the same problem is with the exhaust port. You can't remove it without lifting the whole powerhead, but the the head itself is removable without problems as far as I understand it - please correct me if I am wrong?!

// Mike

raczekp1

Lieutenant

well i did some termostat work on 79' model, 83' and now i owned 96'

this 79' model there is no spring on termostat, so i menage to take out and put back termostat without remoing powerhead, just only
cover latch should be taken out,

in 83' model there is a spring on termostat, and i played puting back but no luck.so i decided to take out the head,
in 86/87 they changed termostat location.moving to upper part of head so acces to termostat its very easy.

in this 96' model its also loctad in upper part of head, but its different termostat design

well here is a link for 15hp model http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayDoTIWChTQ
look how much water its spiting threw relif hole-i bet termostat is removed or its stuck open all the time

here is my 83' model look how its spiting water at relife hole/new termostat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTf76ghbUp4
and 84 long shaft/new termostat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V9olZfz-rs

Rick.

Captain

Sitting in a barrel, it is often perceived they are burning a lot of oil. Not true. They only burn what you give them by order of the gas mix. Remember this isn't a four stroke but a two stroke where all the oil goes straight through the engine with your fuel. When you get it out of the barrel and onto the boat/water the burned oil dissipates very quickly and hopefully so will your concern. If not, synthetic oil is said to smoke less or you can seek after a four stroke. Best of luck. Rick.

Mullerhawk

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys!

As you said Rich, smoke in barrell, but not out in the ocean. Test ran the engine out in the ocean today. Started on second pull with perfect idle. Smoked a bit more than my other Johnson 15HP, but nothing to serious. Got a bit worried with a tell tale that came and went. But feeling the head it was perfect to the touch. Poked a bit in the tell tale hole and got the problem sorted out.

It ran perfect on my boat at a consistent 17.5-18knots.

This forum rocks!

// Mike

Rick.

Captain

This forum does rock! Glad to hear of your success. Rick.