Johnson 48 SPL (special) fuel issue

pappygt

Recruit
I have a 1995 Boston Whaler Dauntless 15 with a 1995? Johnson 48 spl with ptt. Just got boat in trade - took out for ride and it started ok - started to come up on plane and went into single cylinder mode. I checked tank and fuel hose was loose, tightened up but never got it to run 'on 2 cyls'. I say it that way because I'm not sure it was running on 1 - I felt both heads and there was no temp difference. I proceeded to run the boat to get a friend with tools and as I throtttled back to 30-40%, I noticed the 2nd cyl kicking in or appearing that way. More and more... then I decided to choke it and I got it up on plane and by playing with choke, I got it to about 85% - then it conked out as I slowed down after 5 minutes to tie up with my friend. I took his tools, checked both plugs, they looked ok, neither was apprecciably more fowled than the other but I cleaned them. I checked both plug wires - seemed ok. I noticed fuel bulb would not get hard - I took the top off the tank and the feeder hose from top fitting on taank that goes to bottom of tank fell off as I icked it up . So I cut off the fuel connector and stuck it intothe (full) tank and the bulb got and stayed hard. Tried a test run - she took off great and in 10 seconds, back to single cyl mode... at full throttle - I was at a very fast idle.... came back to his boat. Let it sit, checkedplugs again, got it to start and later that night rode 5 miles home and this time, no matter what throttle setting, it never kicked in that 2nd cyl - just ran in degraded mode all the way back - if I tried choke, it would kill it. Perhaps the choke fix on the way out was due to the fuel picked being loose but I neever got full rpm after fixing fuel line. The kicker -the guy who sold it to me said he had same issue, brought to repair man, they said get a new tank which he did and problem went away (last year). The tank is brand new (quicksilver) and the fuel line is brand new (1 year). The guy said he ran this boat 3 weeks ago with son - ran fine. What am I dealing with? Ethasnol or careb issue? Why now andnot lastr 3 weeks? Motor has a new fuel pump installed 2 years as well. I am frustrated....

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Johnson 48 SPL (special) fuel issue

sounds like bad fuel to me. try fresh fuel in another tank.
if not, carbs or other fuel path parts are gunkified.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson 48 SPL (special) fuel issue

First check your compression to make sure you have something to work with. Then check your spark with an open air gap spark tester. Should jump a 7/16 " gap.