HELP!!! EVINRUDE 1979 9.9 hp (blue lower unit and white cowling)

I just bought a 9.9 from a guy at a good price. I bought it cheap becuase it wouldnt start. It has 110 compression on top cylinder and 95 on the bottom cylinder. I got it home and pulled the carb and cleaned it real good. It now starts on the 2nd pull and runs great. The pee hole was stopped up because it had sat in storage for a while. I noticed ALL the water was coming out of what I think is the exhaust (top 2 holes under cowling in the back of motor). So I blew air down the indicator fitting and presto, it pees a hard stream now. Tested it on the jon boat saturday and it runs good (loud). I noticed at about 1/2 throttle I hear a resonating - gurgling sound, and it appears to be shooting water out of the same 2holes in the middle just under the cowling. It does not seem to do it at idle or at full throttle? Is this normal??? Is this the main exhaust? If it is I would assume I have a leak in a gasket somewhere.

Re: HELP!!! EVINRUDE 1979 9.9 hp (blue lower unit and white cowling)

Here are some pics of the motor, the two holes that water sometimes comes out of(pretty sure is exhaust) and the data tag (hopefully we can read it) looks like MODEL# 109249 and SERIAL# E00051.

Can ANYONE give me any input on this? This is the only two stroke motor I've had to do anything to and I am not very familiar with them.

Attachments

• evinrude9.9.jpg
    evinrude9.9.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 0
  • evinrude9.9..jpg
    evinrude9.9..jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 0
  • evinrude9.9...jpg
    evinrude9.9...jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 0

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you go back to the opening page of this forum & click onto FAQs, on the top of page 2 you will find a link to my 9.9/15hp repair articles. If you are unfamiliar with these motors, I have covered them pretty well. However these may keep you occupied for many hours of reading.

mekkamaz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My 7.5 hp Johnson that I?ve owned since new (1981) does the same. It?s normal in this engines to spit a lot of water for this holes, but ain?t normal if there?s steam coming out...if there is a stream of water and a shot of steam, then you have an overheat issue, probably a sticky thermostat, as you say the pee gole has a strong stream.. It is a good practice since this engine is new to you, to change thermostat, a new impeller / pump as needed will be a +, and a lower unit oil change, with that and your carb job and a pair of spark plugs, you?re about good to go...

If you go back to the opening page of this forum & click onto FAQs, on the top of page 2 you will find a link to my 9.9/15hp repair articles. If you are unfamiliar with these motors, I have covered them pretty well. However these may keep you occupied for many hours of reading.

WOW, sschapterpsa, I had know idea I'd ever get a chance to thank you from a few years back. I have given your site to many of folk, and I have read ALOT of it. I just cant find the answer to my question...