2010 Evinrude E-Tec 60 hp will not stay running

arkautza

Recruit
I have a 2010 60 HP Evinrude E-Tec that will start and run briefly before sounding like it's "drowning" and then it just quits. The engine runs fine when I have on muffs on it in the driveway - however when the prop is submerged it seems like the engine does not have the power to push out the exhaust (?) and it just dies. I am a novice when it comes to outboards but here is a very short list of the things I checkedand the result of my snooping:

1. I thought maybe the spark plugs were bad so I pulled them out - they were pretty wet with gasoline
2. I attempted to flush the cooling system with a garden hose attached to the threaded hole below the cooling water outlet hole - nothing came out the other end? I did not have the motor running at that point though; should the motor be running for that method of flushing? However, I didn't notice that the cooling water stream was inconsistent when the motor was running.

I would really appreciate any ideas or pointers on what to check out next or how to properly flush out the cooling system, etc.

The motor is used on a scientific research vessel so it gets beat up pretty good being run in shallow, dirty, muddy, and rocky areas. It almost never gets run full throttle, usually just creeping along above idle for long periods of time. Would these have anything to do with the potential problems I am experiencing?

Again I really appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2010 Evinrude E-Tec 60 hp will not stay running

You might want to do a compression test on it to see if the mtr is sound. The prob is with these new mtrs is you need a laptop to check the mtr for service codes as there are many things that can go wrong. Not like the days of the carbed mtrs.

arkautza

Recruit

Thanks guys

I checked the thermostat - looked brand new but I cleaned it up anyway

Going out to get a compression tester at the auto parts store right now. I'll reply with my results and maybe we can discuss this problem some more.

Thanks again for the advice

arkautza

Recruit

Another thing I failed to mention was that none of the onboard warning lights/alarms ever activated - no warning for overheating, etc. I'm hoping this indicates that there isn't a major issue with the engine itself.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It sure seems like this motor should be under warranty. If it is, my first recommendation is take it to a dealer and have him repair it for free. I wouldn't go running around testing things and tearing it apart yourself, that might make someone say you voided the warranty.

arkautza

Recruit

That's a good point - however, I thought that if there was a simple solution I could get it done over the weekend when the shops are closed; or if the problem was due to regularly scheduled maintenance or due to normal "wear-and-tear" then the warranty wouldn't cover the repairs anyway. From reading the warranty agreement it seems as though only manufacturer defects and the like are covered by warranty. I also had taken the motor in last winter for an unrelated problem and the company was hesitant to cover the replacement parts and labor under the warranty. They ultimately did cover everything, which I appreciated, but I am a little worried about taking it in again if it is something that is not covered by warranty.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

The warranty should cover anything you didn't break including spark plugs in the first 300 hrs. You shouldn't be screwing with it.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Doing Just a compression test shouldn't void the warranty.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

If the OP knows how to index spark plugs, go ahead and check compression. The OP is likely to cause warranty issues if he doesn't know basic procedures.

Unclereeky

Recruit

I have a 2010 60 HP Evinrude E-Tec that will start and run briefly before sounding like it's "drowning" and then it just quits. The engine runs fine when I have on muffs on it in the driveway - however when the prop is submerged it seems like the engine does not have the power to push out the exhaust (?) and it just dies. I am a novice when it comes to outboards but here is a very short list of the things I checkedand the result of my snooping:

1. I thought maybe the spark plugs were bad so I pulled them out - they were pretty wet with gasoline
2. I attempted to flush the cooling system with a garden hose attached to the threaded hole below the cooling water outlet hole - nothing came out the other end? I did not have the motor running at that point though; should the motor be running for that method of flushing? However, I didn't notice that the cooling water stream was inconsistent when the motor was running.

I would really appreciate any ideas or pointers on what to check out next or how to properly flush out the cooling system, etc.

The motor is used on a scientific research vessel so it gets beat up pretty good being run in shallow, dirty, muddy, and rocky areas. It almost never gets run full throttle, usually just creeping along above idle for long periods of time. Would these have anything to do with the potential problems I am experiencing?

Again I really appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Wow!!! If this isn't the most ironic thing or maybe the most luckiest thing. Less than 4 hours ago, I just got off my pontoon boat which is powered by an E-Tec Evinrude 60 horsepower outboard..that did pretty much the exact same thing your E-Tec is doing for you. I started it up..starts first time..every time. We traveled about a mile and a half to our fishing spot. Stayed about 2 1/2 hours..nothing was biting..got everything packed up..started the boat..did a little cruising around the lake for about 30 minutes..then all of the sudden...NOTHING!!! I'd try to start it..it would start. But do nothing more than idle. We turned it off for about 20 minutes. Tried it again..started up again..but all I could muster was about 1500 rpms..and yes...it most definitely sounded like it was drowning..or worse!!! We did manage to get back to the marina..and I've been scratching my head ever since. So..like the gentleman that tarted this thread..I am in need of advice also. My motor might have a total of 30 hours run time over the past 2 years. So I'm sure the warranty is still in effect..but..any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Unclereeky

Wow

arkautza

Recruit

Hey Unclereeky, I ended up taking my outboard into the dealer - turns out that it was just a clogged/dirty thermostat. Pretty easy fix in my case. Good luck.