1992 Evinrude 48 hp wont start unless rocking lever

fucawi

Banned
Got this by PM ...how do I get to Admiral if I do them all by PM ?

Engine won't start other than wiggling the shift lever in neutral will sometimes work to allow starting. Sometimes it won't work at all yet other times the key will start the motor right away. I'm assuming this is the cause of a bad in-gear-protection-starter-switch. If this is so, where is it located and how is it changed?

fucawi

Banned
Re: 1992 Evinrude 48 hp wont start unless rocking lever

I assume you have a cable operated gear shift in which case the switch is normally inside the shifter box.Usually a couple of bolts hold it to the boat . It may have a plastic cover to remove first . You will find igniton switch and the gear change interlock switch inside ..could be a worn switch ..sloppy cam that operates it or just loose. so engage brain and do what is neccessary.

Brewha01

Cadet

Thanks for your reply. It is a cable operated gear shift. I'll pull the shifter off again and see if I can find the switch. There's a white plastic housing that the lever arm is attached to and the switch may be in there. There are 2 wires connected to this and my guess is that they are powering the switch. The lever isn't all that sloppy. It uses a steel ball that drops into a slot for neutral. This must be part of the switch.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

fucawi, did you belong to that lost indian tribe?? Engage brain??