• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.
  • **** The forums will be undergoing maintenance tonight approximately 9:30pm-midnight MDT. Thank you for your patience during this time. ****

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Twisted off bolt head -- now what?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twisted off bolt head -- now what?

This is the extension piece for a 1970 33hp Evinrude. I was lucky that the broken off bolt head did not prevent me from taking off the extension. Now that I have it accessible for further surgery to remove the remaining piece of the bolt, I am concerned that if I just grab a hold of it with my vice grips, it may just break off again. I'm sure this situation has come up before. What is the recommendation? The paint job is decent on this motor, so I don't want to ruin it by burning off the paint with a flame. So I assume plenty of WD-40 is the best course of action? BTW all the other bolts came off fairly easily.

Click image for larger version

Name:	70d5c4e1c479ffded6079858ad6cea19.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	109064
    Dozen or so 4hp to 33hp Evinrudes 1963 thru 1978 and 1 Mercury 1977
    16' MirroCraft

Re: Twisted off bolt head -- now what?

I would get an oxy/celylene torch and concentrate the heat on the bolt only. Use a small fusing tip, so it doesn't hit the aluminum. Get that baby glowing hot, then let it cool down. Once it's cool, you should be able to get a vice grip on the stud and remove it. You'll be able to tell, whether it's going to come out or twist off. If it feels like it isn't going to come out, then repeat the heat up process.
    sigpicVice Admiral Zephyr

1941 Johnson HD-20 (in restoration)
    1947 Sea King 5hp
    1948 Evinrude Sportsman
    1949 Martin "40"
    1951 Evinrude Fastwin
    1954 Evinrude Fleetwin
    1955 Evinrude Fleetwin
    1955 Johnson JW-11
    1955 Johnson CD-12 (2)
    1955 Johnson QD-16
    1955 Johnson RD-17
    1957 Jhnson CD-14
    1957 Evinrude Big Twin
    1958 Evinrude Fisherman
    1958 Johnson FDE-12
    1959 Johnson RDSL-21B
    1974 Tanaka 1hp (screamin' drink mixer )

Comment

I remember those 33 hp Evinrudes. Popular engine back in the day.

If that where mine to fix (i.e. extract the remains of the bolt), I would . . .

- Soak some PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench into it for a day or so.
      - Heat the surrounding material with a propane torch while I tried to back the bolt out with Vice Grips.

You may want to try a couple of heating/cooling cycles on the surrounding material before you go with the vice grips.
      Best regards,
      Formula 330 Sun Sport
      Twin Mercruiser 7.4 LX MPI (0F802036, 0F802039), Bravo 3's (0F806198, 0F806199)
      1969 Mercury 7.5 HP Outboard (26346XX)
      My F-330 Web Site: http://home.comcast.net/~tpenfield/F...30SS/Home.html
      My F-242 Web Site: http://home.comcast.net/~tpenfield/W...Boat_Page.html
      Member of the Month - February 2013
      http://www.iboats.com/blog/tpenfield...-of-the-month/

Comment

By heating the bolt you're only expanding it. Heat the area around it. Mix up a 50/50 solution of acetone and atf and try that on it also. Get Mapp gas rather than propane as it gets hotter.

Comment

I have propane but no oxy. I'd really prefer not to heat it anyway. I guess I'll just keep spraying on penetrating oil each day until it's time to put it back together (which could easily stretch into many days or even weeks at my pace). Then give it a turn and see what happens.
          16' MirroCraft

Comment

Just thought of a great idea: cut a slot with my dremmel in the top of the bolt head and then hit it with my impact driver. I'll give it at least a few days of WD-40 first though.
            16' MirroCraft

Comment

Concur with PB Blaster and DO NOT HEAT the bolt. Heating the bolt, as explained, will expand it and make it tighter. You want to expand the hole around the bolt.
              Slotting is a great idea. Been successful in the past.
              Worst case, you may need a carbide drill and an EZ-out.
              J

Comment

WD-40 is one of the most ineffective products you can use to break a stuck bolt loose. It has a lot of good uses but not for this job. But, it's your bolt.

Comment

get a stud extractor first, after pb blast soak. Also as last resort use a left hand drill bit, you have a good stem on the stud for a extractor to grab. 5.99 at Harbor Freight or better ones around

Comment

I've done my share of this and many of the recommendations are good ones, some are not. That's cast aluminum, heat the casting not the bolt.. Good idea=yes. Smack it with your impact driver, Good idea=no.. You'll probably just crack the casting. Use map gas or O/A Good idea=yes. Use PB Blaster Good idea=yes. Left hand drill bit. Good idea=no unless you own stock in the drill bit company it won't get enough bite to turn the bolt. That works on wood screws but not frozen corroded stainless steel bolts in aluminum. Use a bolt extrator or easy out. Good idea=no, if you break it off you can't drill it again.

My best luck has been with repeatedly soaking it down with PB blaster for two or three days then heating the casting to about 500 degrees and putting a pair of vice grips on the bolt and working it back and forth just a little at a time until it finally comes free. Go to your local welding supplier to get a heat crayon. Infrared thermometers don't work very well on aluminum. If you can't get vice grips on it then take it to welding shop and have them tack weld a nut on it.

Comment

Agreed X 2. Especially about the bolt extractors.

Comment

I heat the housing with propane whenever I have to remove head bolts and they're sticky and it works all the time. Also if one does break I use propane also... It almost always works.
                        Steve.

Comment

Reguardless of how good you soak it, it won't come out, unless you heat it up. When these bolts get siezed up in the threaded holes, they are in there for good. LOL Even with propane, I usually end up drilling them out. So far, the only heat that has prevented me from drilling them out, has been oxy/celylene, because it's the only thing that can get the bolt red hot enough.
                          sigpicVice Admiral Zephyr

1941 Johnson HD-20 (in restoration)
                          1947 Sea King 5hp
                          1948 Evinrude Sportsman
                          1949 Martin "40"
                          1951 Evinrude Fastwin
                          1954 Evinrude Fleetwin
                          1955 Evinrude Fleetwin
                          1955 Johnson JW-11
                          1955 Johnson CD-12 (2)
                          1955 Johnson QD-16
                          1955 Johnson RD-17
                          1957 Jhnson CD-14
                          1957 Evinrude Big Twin
                          1958 Evinrude Fisherman
                          1958 Johnson FDE-12
                          1959 Johnson RDSL-21B
                          1974 Tanaka 1hp (screamin' drink mixer )

Comment

Find a stainlless nut and thread on or drill out so it goes on stud and arc weld it on .Wait till it cools some while applying penatrating oil not red hot . Work back and forth .

Comment

Hey, I have an idea . . .

How about soaking some PB Blaster and heating the surrounding material?
                              Best regards,
                              Formula 330 Sun Sport
                              Twin Mercruiser 7.4 LX MPI (0F802036, 0F802039), Bravo 3's (0F806198, 0F806199)
                              1969 Mercury 7.5 HP Outboard (26346XX)
                              My F-330 Web Site: http://home.comcast.net/~tpenfield/F...30SS/Home.html
                              My F-242 Web Site: http://home.comcast.net/~tpenfield/W...Boat_Page.html
                              Member of the Month - February 2013
                              http://www.iboats.com/blog/tpenfield...-of-the-month/

Comment

Working...
                              X