9.9 Evinrude Remote Throttle cable hook up to Motor

scott hamilton

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got a TE10RELEN (remote 1992 Evinrude).

I think my throttle cable is missing the clip that is shown here:
9_9%20shifter%20cable.jpg

All I have is the throttle cable attached to the peg where this pic shows a little clip being used.

DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS? Do I have to buy the whole adapter kit #386660 to find the clip? Is there really suppose to be a clip at the end of the throttle cable?

JDusza

Ensign
Re: 9.9 Evinrude Remote Throttle cable hook up to Motor

I shall share what I know.

There are what I would call two clips with this assembly; one is black plastic that looks like a large grip ring and the other is stainless steel at the cable termination end. They both appear to be in this picture, so I am not sure which one you are questioning.

The black one (grip-ring-like) "clips" onto the black two-piece collar that goes through the lower cover once the stop button is removed. This keeps the collar pieces together and creates a hard anchor point for the cable jacket so the terminated end can move at the engine. If this black clip is missing you have no control of the cable and it will flail all over the place with no control at the engine. You need an anchor point.

The stainless steel clip fastens the cable termination onto the throttle arm pin located on the engine. It keeps the terminated end from jumping off the pin. If the cable jumps off the throttle arm pin when you are underway, you'll be in real trouble, very dangerous trouble. Place the terminated cable over the pin, then swing and snap the clip over to lock the cable to the pin.

You need both, without question. I would call an Evinrude dealer to talk you through the parts. I suspect the black pieces are available without the entire cable. They are way too easy to lose not to be spared by themselves. The stainless steel clip is part of the cable termination assembly. Most likely, it will not be sold alone.

Hope this helps.
J

Last edited:

Haffiman

Commander
Re: 9.9 Evinrude Remote Throttle cable hook up to Motor

You are missing the plastic clip-ring that holds the round plastic in the lower cover. If that is missing, the plastic around the trunnion (on the pick) gets pushed OUT of the cover when giving throttle.
Just go to a hardware store and buy a big circlip (preferably alu or SST) that fits the groove in the plastic you have. I have even seen people just using a hose clamp on the inside, but try to avoid 'play'.