Johnson 225 hp not truning over

Stephen21

Cadet
Hi im new to this site but anyway i have a 1998 johnson 225 Ocean runner and i started it about to weeks ago. And now i have installed it on my boat and connected everything all the wiring and gauges but when i go turn the key it wont start and i know theres power cut the choke clicks but nothing else happens when i turn all the way? do u think its the neutral switch on the control box ? because theres two wires that are black and i dont know where they go everything else is fine and working! Also, i check the starter soleniod and there only power where the battery wire connects too but on the other side which connects to the starter nothing even when i trun the key!! Can some help im stuck!!

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: Johnson 225 hp not truning over

What is brand of control box? All wires plug and play, or cut and splice?

Starter wire should be yellow/red tracer from key to control to engine.

Last edited:

Stephen21

Cadet

Well the contorl box is a Omc top mount with the tilt and trim switch on it. I connected the red, the blue, and the green right because the tilt and trim switch works fine. But from the control box there comes out 2 black wires which go to the neutral saftey switch. The yellow and red stripe that comes from the starter selinod is connected to the S on the key switch.

Will Bark

Lieutenant

Check your 20amp fuse under the cowl ;should be close to the starter solenoid. Good luck

Stephen21

Cadet

I did its not blow! And do think that that selinod is bad sense I check with the test light on the side that feeds to the starter when I turn the key and nothing is coming through?th

clanton

Rear Admiral

Check the small single wire yellow/red on solenoid, should have 12 volts when key is in start position. This wire works the solenoid. The yellow/red wire from switch should have connector to connect to neutral switch wire.