Need help with a new to me 25hp evinrude jet

mrbrink

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all,
I just purchased a 1979 evinrude 25 with a jet drive on it. I got it for next to nothing because the previous owner tried removing the jet in favor of a prop, and in the process, cracked the water pump trying to pry it apart. Anyway, the driveshaft is stuck in the power head. I went out and tried working on it today, and he also pulled the bearing up about 1/2 an inch, so looks like I get to rebuild the pump as well. There are no bolts holding it up, I've worked on these evinrudes since I was 10 and know my way around pretty well. Can anyone give me suggestions to get this un-stuck? I've tried prying on it, beating on it with a rubber mallet, and its not budging. my next idea is to thread the bolt back on the end with a large fender washer and hit it a few times with a slide hammer.

mrbrink

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Need help with a new to me 25hp evinrude jet

Worked on it more today. Modified a fly wheel puller and ended up tearing the threads out of the bolt I had threaded on the pump side of the shaft...its honestly like someone welded it into the powerhead

AlTn

Commander

I've read of folks suspending the outboard upside down and using a comealong to keep tension on the d/s while spraying penetrating oil on the shaft daily...one fellow suspended weights from the l/u and drove his boat and trailer over the rough roads leading to his carbin in an attempt to "yank" the d/s loose...seems like more than one cut the d/s and then dealt with getting it out of the crank <best to have a replacement d/s on hand I'd guess>...at least one used the hammer function on an air chisel to help break it free..wishing you luck

mrbrink

Seaman Apprentice

Tried the slide hammer idea and ended up ripping the threads out of the nut on the shaft...she's pretty frozen in there. It is currently hanging upside down in the shop, spraying deep creep on it hourly so hopefully it'll pop outta there, duck hunting season started this morning and I'd really like to have this motor going!!