Expensive fix!!!! what do you think?

jeremy5780

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1999 200 johnson ocean runner. I have been having trouble with cold starting at the ramp. It would take me 5 to 10 minutes to get the thing started I would turn the key and the engine would go vroom real quick then stop like it was not getting the fuel needed to start. Eventually after about 50 turns of the key (literally) it would start and idle rough for a bit then would run good all day, unless it sat for a few hours then would be tough to start again. I dropped it off at the marina thinking it was out of sync or timing was off just a little. They said stator was going bad and was putting out to much which in return was burning up the power pack. They replaced both and stated the motor was running like a top. What I dont understand is why this was causing hard starting but would run fine after started? any thought's or ideas?

Haffiman

Commander
Re: Expensive fix!!!! what do you think?

I would not say it may not happen, but only for a brand new stator. The output is a function of the speed and strength of the magnets passing over the coils, and will normally deteriorate over the years. Magnets gets weaker, the windings gets more brittle with increased resistance. Too MUCH output -I doubt it!
However I have been in cases where I have had to change both power pack and stator even after both individually have passed the recommended tests, but engine not performing acceptable. This have all been on the 60 loopers however.

Rick.

Captain

I had a power pack problem with hard starting being the issue. Seemed to me once it warmed up it was good for the rest of the day but when cold it was a bear to start. Once the temp. dropped below about 50 F. it just would not start at all. Once replaced I've had no starting problems. Best of luck. Rick.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Assuming an over voltage condition existed it could have fried the power packs to the point that they were not putting out enough voltage to the coils. If this was happening a cold start would be difficult but a warm start might be fine. 50 times cranking the motor was probably sufficient to warm the cylinders enough to get it started and run rough on weak spark until it warmed up sufficiently to support decent combustion on the weak spark. I would be that your overall performance improves significantly now.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

i assume you checked the choke?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

They said stator was going bad and was putting out to much which in return was burning up the power pack
I really really doubt this due to ignition design. The stator only produces voltage for: (1) rectifier (2) capacitors in pack(3) Quickstart. A over voltage would actually make spark HOTTER due to capacitors are overcharged and coils don't care what voltage they it get.(DVA voltage is 150-450v) I could see this if engine had a top end problem as flywheel is turning faster. Your problem was most likely the power coil on stator for quickstart was bad and they replaced stator and pack as to cover their arse..........

jeremy5780

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks everyone for your input!

wmconway

Seaman

I had a very similar problem with my 1995 200HP. It would take a fully charged battery the get the beast started. The stator windings had melted their insulation off, this somehow caused the powerpack and the regulator/rectifier to fry. I replaced all three and reglued the flywheel magnets which had all migrated together, and haven't had a problem since.