ok new owner couple of problems....

montecarlols

Cadet
Good to see a forum just for evinrude's! I just got a 9.9 evinrude thats been giving me some problems, it seems to be 1983 from all the info i have been looking up, (no serial #) The previous owner replaced the impeller and plugs. It pops out of gear when i go past half throttle, im thinking he didn't reattach the shift rod correctly.... he told me to run it 32-1 which at this point seems too rich, it started up right away and after about 20 min of trolling and shutting it down, would not restart. the plugs were oily with a slight carbon buildup. since i bought it, i replaced both coils (which were melting down) the pull cord, and am waiting on a carb kit and starter recoil spring. One of my questions, how hard should the tiller be, it seems that it is rather stiff, i took the tiller / handle assembly apart and lubed it all up, but now it seems to be in the cam??? Also if it is an 83, should i be able to rev it in neutral with earmuffs on? (not full throttle but slightly)it wont let me Thanks in advance
David

fireman57

Captain
Re: ok new owner couple of problems....

First of all I would like to say welcome to iboats. Sounds like a carb rebuild is in order and you already have the kit ordered for that. Make sure that you soak it good in a good carb cleaner, don't just spray it out. It could be jumping out of gear because of the shift adjustment not being right. Does it feel like it shifts all the way into gear or not? you want to run this engine at 50:1 as you found out or you will foul the plugs. you should be able to rev it a little but it has a stop on it when it is in neutral so you can't go very far. If it will not rev at all that goes back to your carb issue.