tilt lock lever question on a 1953 johnson

njsavelli

Cadet
alright, so i recently picked up this 1953 25hp johnson, model RD-14 (that i got for free!) its quite rough on the outside, and needs new paint and decals etc.. but I believe it has a shot at running since it has good compression and isnt seized. so i thought the first steps I should take to getting this beast back up and running was to first get new plugs, get some fresh gas in it, and throw it on the back of my boat and get a garbage can full of water, even though the carburetor is going to most likely need to be clean, or maybe better to to get it tuned up? the only problem, and this may sound kind of stupid asking about it, but i cant get the motor to lock in place on the tilt i have it set to. Im not familiar with these motors, but on my other evinrude there is a release and lock position right under the choke, maybe im missing a piece? im really just not sure what to do, i do have a parts manual, but still cant seem to figure the dang thing out. Any help or advice at allll would be awesome! thanks for your time!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: tilt lock lever question on a 1953 johnson

#12 is the tilt lock (locks it down in reverse, releases in neutral or forward). It is actuated by the #51 assembly on the shift rod. It hooks onto the tilt pin assembly, #75

Actually, I'm not 100% sure if it is supposed to be locked in neutral or not. But I don't think so.

Attachments

• 12. Exhaust Housing and Brackets.jpg
    12. Exhaust Housing and Brackets.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 0