1994 Evinrude 90 hp wont run in water

joepoke56

Recruit
Mechanic just replaced the carberator, not sure if it was running properly before. So he replaced it threw the muffs on it fired up and ran like a top. Said it got great compression. Took it to the water fired up, threw the gas to it and it died. Finally got it to run by giving it full power and it sputtered to a go. She runs about as fast as Phelps swims at full throttle. Is this motor toast? any ideas on it if not is appreciated...thanks

etracer68

Ensign
Re: 1994 Evinrude 90 hp wont run in water

AS Far as I know thoses motors have two carbs, not one. Any good mechanic will test run a motor under load in the water, not just on muffs. It could be alot of things wrong.

joepoke56

Recruit

AS Far as I know thoses motors have two carbs, not one. Any good mechanic will test run a motor under load in the water, not just on muffs. It could be alot of things wrong.

He took it out as well, same thing...he's a good friend whose really just trying to get it figured out...he mainly a small engine mechanic...got no grief with him just hoping to figure out what to do now.

joepoke56

Recruit

Ok just talked to him again he says it reading 120 on all cylinders on muffs and he put new kits on both carbs...sorry

jayyyy

Seaman

Did he set the idle RPM correctly, 800 in the water in gear. Those motors loose a lot of RPM when immersed in water due to back pressure.

joepoke56

Recruit

Did he set the idle RPM correctly, 800 in the water in gear. Those motors loose a lot of RPM when immersed in water due to back pressure.

He said its set around 1400 out of water, but he cant set it once its submerged

Pontoon24

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just solved a similar problem.

I cleaned my carb and it ran great on the test stand and in the water nothing, back on the stand fine, back in the water nope. Back and forth I went till I read on this forum that in the back of my motor about halfway up there were 2 exhaust relief holes. If they were submerged they would cause that problem. On my motor they were, I tilted it up and was on my way. Check if these holes are submerged and if so, tilt the motor up.

joepoke56

Recruit

I just solved a similar problem.

I cleaned my carb and it ran great on the test stand and in the water nothing, back on the stand fine, back in the water nope. Back and forth I went till I read on this forum that in the back of my motor about halfway up there were 2 exhaust relief holes. If they were submerged they would cause that problem. On my motor they were, I tilted it up and was on my way. Check if these holes are submerged and if so, tilt the motor up.

Ive had it in the water and tilted the motor, i gaurantee my fix wont be that easy (fingers crossed) I'll get him to check and come back

nwcove

Admiral

i agree with other posters, backpressure can cause a motor to be hydrophobic. have you checked the condition of the plugs after a water run? it might not be running on all cyls.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Check out nwcove's suggestion. Put a timing light on each plugwire when you have the engine running. The flashes from the gun will tell you how good the spark is to each plug. You may find it is not running on all 4 cyls.