winterizing motor

slim hays

Cadet
Should I run all the gas out of my 1988 88 hp johnson outboard motor if it's not going to be used through the winter or just unplug the gas line from the motor?

Haffiman

Commander
Re: winterizing motor

In your case you may run it dry, however I'm not in favor if it.
Mix a small canister/tank in which you add min 5% fogging oil in addition to 4% 2-stroke oil. If running it dry, this will leave an oil film on all internal metal parts in the carb and prevent corrosion. If in addition you add some 2+4 fuel stabilizer you should not need to run it dry unless you plan for storage longer than 6 months. Empty carbs will have condensation inside as temp drops, this might be just as damaging as stale gas!

tpenfield

Staff member

Yes, run all of the gas out of the motor. As an added precaution, you should add some stabilizer to the gas b4 you run it out (unless you already have stabilizer in the fuel tank)

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I do not like to run multi-cylinder motors dry. Put some stabilizer into the fuel (at the correct ratio), and run her on the flusher for a few minutes to circulate the stabilized fuel. Now spray some fogging oil into the carbs and get her to smoke real good. Now kill the motor and remove the flusher. After she drains well, spin the motor for a second to get any residual water. Now change gear oil and pump grease fittings and clean steering rod. Wipe oil or spray oil onto powerhead.

slim hays

Cadet

Thank y'all for the information about winterizing my motor....still trying to figure out about power trim/tilt......will one off a 1988 70hp fit my motor?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Never run your outboard out of gas. It's almost like draining the oil out of your pickup truck and running it. Running it out of fuel, is also running it out of oil. On the bottom of the carb(s) you'll find a small drain plug. Remove the drain plug and hold a rag under the carb while the gas runs out.

You might also want to change the oil in your lower unit too, when you get done draining your carb.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Yes, drain & replace the LU oil so you store clean oil all winter...not water.

I also like to make a tag and list what and when each maintenance item was done...sometimes boating gets away from us for various reasons and we forget what was done.

Mas