Vintage evinrude ID

zoli 16ga.

Cadet
Good day all, I'm looking at buying a vintage evinrude 3 1/2hp, yes, 3 1/2 hp. I believe it is the model prior to the Lightwin, 1930's? Just guessing, as all the light and duck twins were 3hp(?). The only distinctive thing is it's 'hour glass' fuel gauge(?). It has the angled prop system also (anti weed prop), like the twin and duck twin, but not as prominant, re: stuck out foreward as much. The seller does not know the model or age.

Can anybody give me any further insight? The motor is in good running condition, asking $170, all original, blue paint.

D.A.L

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: Vintage evinrude ID

It sounds like you have a 3.3hp Sportwin there. Post a model number if you can. :)

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Yep, that would be a Sportwin, made in the late 1940s/early 1950s. It was replaced by the Lightwin 3s...

zoli 16ga.

Cadet

Thanks guys! I googled Sporttwin images, and that's the one. It's a fifties model with the gas gauge tube on the front of the cowling. It has the first version of the weed eater skeg. It is not as agressive as the lightwin or ducktwin skegs, but it should do!

I hear the sportwin is quite reliable? This is my first small outboard. I hope I made the right choice!

D.A.L

nwcove

Admiral

those oldies are better (imo) than the new stuff. if that motor had a good previous life, and you go through the steps to make sure its "happy" again. (top secret file at the beginning of the johnson/evinrude forum), it should last for another 60 years.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Did you pay $170 for it?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Personally, I think the later Lightwins are a bit better and easier to run, plus ignition parts are still readily available. Evinrude dropped the 3.3hp Sportwin in 1951 and Johnson dropped the HD-25 in 1951 and the two companies introed the JW/Lightwins in 1952. The Lightwin was a close resemblance to the previous Sportwin, but a much more co-operative runner and easier to work with. I hear that the Sportwin carbs are a bit of a nightmare. LOL The old HD's were a bit troublesome to run too, especially after previous owners ran them a little lean on oil and prematurely wore the main journals. If they were cared for, then they ran a lot better. The old Sportwin would make a cool restoration project though. It looks like the "little brother" to the early Fleetwins.

zoli 16ga.

Cadet

Ok, so my buddy picked up the motor and it is a 3 1/2 hp! Not sure if they called the 3.3hp a 3 1/2hp? I'll get it on Tuesday nonetheless and post picks for the experts. The seller says it may need new plugs, which means to me - it needs new plugs.

D.A.L

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Yup, paid $170 all in. Did I pay too much?

Value is what a willing buyer will pay for it and what a willing seller will take for it. So, you established the fair value at $170.

Personally, the 3.3 is not my favorite motor, but enjoy the challenge anyway.