Water in lower unit

HBfisherman

Cadet
I have a 1987 Evinrude 48spl, well when I first bought the boat back in June the first thing I did was drain the
lower unit oil. Not very familiar with boats at the time you guys confirmed it was the dreaded water in the oil. I have since replaced the lower unit oil and still have the dreaded milky oil. I have been replacing it ever 3-4 trips so that I keep fresh oil down there. Rather than take the motor in to get repaired I would like to do it myself so that I can get familiar with my motor. In regards to water entering the lower unit, where would it be coming in from and what would I need to replace so that I don't have to deal with this problem. I really appreciate your
help and knowledge.

I have found this link very useful.......

http://shop2.evinrude.com/Index.aspx?s1=bbcj9k6ma2obttflkmosptmfl4&catalog_id=0&siteid=1

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Water in lower unit

Three areas sealed plus the drain/fill plugs gaskets. Drive shaft, prop shaft ( 2 seals back to back) and shift rod. Anyplace else would involve a crack or defect in the lower unit casting. Get the LU pressure/vacuum tested at a dealer to find where the leak is.

HBfisherman

Cadet

Replacing these, is this something a novice can do?

Also, what does an average pressure test cost?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

When you replaced the gear oil did you replace the fill/drain plug seals - - - every time? If not do it again before you take it apart.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Pressure/vacuum testing shouldn't cost too much, but the repair is quite a bit more. If you haven't done it before and don't have a shop manual, the shop you go to can price it for you. I wouldn't attempt the repair w/o an OEM shop manual.