Battery question

GatorMike

Ensign
I just got through rebuilding my 115 Johnson. She runs good, I've got good compression 120-125 psi on all 4 cyls. The problem I am having right now is the starter draging badly. She just barely turns over. I just replaced the cables a year ago and they are clean. I pulled the starter and cleaned it up. The brushes look real good and everything is cleaned and greased.

This brings us to my question. My battery is a little over a year old, should be good but it is the last link in the chain. I tried jumping from my truck battery straight to the starter and it still draged. I would have thought the truck battery would have turned it over a little better? I just hate to go out and spend $100 on a new battery and find out my old battery was not the problem. Anyway my old battery was 675 cranking amps. Would it help any to go to a battery with 850 or more cranking amps? I guess what I am asking is would more cranking amps spin the starter faster?

GatorMike

Ensign
Re: Battery question

Well I just answered my own question. Just bought an 850 cranking amp battery and got the same results. The starter just barely turns the motor over when I say barely I mean barely the motor stops after one or two cranks.

Is there a way to test a starter to see if it is capable of supplying the needed torque to turn an engine? I just hate to keep swaping out parts, could get expensive.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

I would try jumping around the solenoid 1st. If it cranks properly, replace the solenoid.

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

With a fully charged battery. Load test the battery first. If it holds the load next test the starter with an amp meter. Check the manual for starter amp ratings. Better yet for five bucks have the local auto shop run the tests. It'll take them one minute if the battery is fully charged.

GatorMike

Ensign

Just revisiting this thread to report I am one happy camper now, and to add a tip for anybody who searches the subject in the future.

I am sure the mechanics on the forum all know this but I didn't. Today while at work I stopped in at a small outboard shop that I didn't even know existed, I just spotted it while driving through an industrial park. Anyway I asked the mechanic there a question or two, he turned out to be a really nice guy and took the time to show me my mistake. It seems when I pulled my starter apart and cleaned out all the rust and dust just cleaning it up was not enough. The guy explained that the screws in the brushes do not make good contact with the negative ground unless the copper connector itself is actually touching the body of the starter. When I got home I opened up my starter again and set the negative brushes like he told me and wow what a difference.

Guess before making the adjustment my starter was pretty much running at half power.