1979 evinrude 55 hp fire on one cylinder

curtis45

Seaman Apprentice
Hi,I stumbled across this site a few weeks ago and I must say I am impressed ! You guys are the best.Was wondering if you could help me out with my problem.I just recently bought a 1979 evinrude 55 hp (2 cylinder) Trying to figure out why this thing wasnt running right I have discovered it is only firing on one cylinder.At first I thought it was the coil but after playing with it a bit that is not the case,If i take the orange wire off of the coil and swap it with the other coil the suspected coil starts working.I chased those 2 orange wires down and they go into a black box on the side of the motor (power pack?) I guess my question is: is the black box bad or what other things can I do to chase down why only 1 of the orange wires comming out of that box is hot. Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks Curtis

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1979 evinrude 55 hp fire on one cylinder

Without testing with the proper test equipment, I'd say it's the power pack.

James R

Commander

Three possible items. Power pack, which is most likely, Stator and trigger or timer. With the aid of a manual you should be able to do the resistance checks on the latter two which may help eliminate or point to one or both of those. If they test ok the most probable cause is a bad power pack.

curtis45

Seaman Apprentice

ok thanks i am not really educated in testing electrical parts. I dont have a manual for the motor because as i have stated earlier I just bought the boat.I am planning on getting one .with my limited knowledge of testing electrical I suppose I will drift toward the thought that the power pack is bad and buy one of those guys,,hope they aint to expensive! I do want to say thank you for your replies,,,,i really appreciate it. Curtis

curtis45

Seaman Apprentice

one other thing,,been looking at power packs i found several brands is one better than the other and is the old saying true you get what you pay for? thanks curtis

curtis45

Seaman Apprentice

hey just wanted to reply back and say that you guys were right.Ordered a new power pack and she fired right up and runs like a top. Thanks again guys