Evinrude Power Pilot controls-How to remove cables?

travelship

Cadet
I upgraded to the newer style controls (with the neutral throttle lever on top) that had cables that are 2 feet too long, and would like to use these cables instead. How do you remove the cables? The motor end was the same and an easy swap, but I can't figure out this end. I haven't looked at this end of my new controls, though. Are they the same?

Also, I have no need for the controls after I get the cables off and would hate to throw it away if somebody could use the parts. They are locked up in forward, but are complete with a key and the electrical cord to the motor. The cord has been cut and spliced right near the red plug. I would gladly send them to someone for just the cost of shipping. I get a good FedEx discount and could ship them anywhere in the 48 contiguous states for about $10. Send your address in a pm for the actual shipping cost and my PayPal address.

IMG_1298 (1024x768).jpgIMG_1297 (1024x768).jpg

Haffiman

Commander
Re: Evinrude Power Pilot controls-How to remove cables?

Should be two set-screws in center of the hinge bolt that must be removed. However those cables will not fit your new remote due to this system.

laotou

Seaman

I have a similar command center and can't figure out how to remove the cables.

Haffiman

Commander

Remove the two set screws, pull out the cable!!

laotou

Seaman

Remove the two set screws, pull out the cable!!

I attached some pictures. Where are the two screws you are talking about? Are the screws already out? Do I look at the wrong place for the screws?

Thank you for your help!
linkage4.jpglinkage2.giflinkage3.jpg

Haffiman

Commander

They should be in the threaded hole in center, however someone might have broken the heads off or used wrong screws!!
On pic #1, you see the cable wire sticking out at the end. The screws goes in from both sides locking that wire. You may have to take it all apart to get to the screw at the back.

Atreides

Cadet

Travelship,

the plastic connector inside your control box with the number 206408, it connects and pivots on the lever on some threaded nuts. Inside those nuts are a tiny allen wrench socket, both the one visible in your first pic as well as the back one which can be accessed through a hole in the backside of the control box. Loosen both screws with your allen wrench and the control wire will come out. I learned this very thing not 8 hours ago when buying a new throttle cable and having the mechanic show me what to do. Works the same on the engine side as well.

Cheers