2005 johnson 50 High speed shift...motor wont start.....Prop wont turn in nuetral

crass

Recruit
How do I break loose the lower unit to check for damage?
I have loosened the bolts and it drops only about 1/2"

EN2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2005 johnson 50 High speed shift...motor wont start.....Prop wont turn in nuetral

Under the bottom carb, there is a bolt to take out on the port side of the power head. Take the starter off to gain acess. When you remove the bolt it will release the shift rod , the lower unit will then drop down.

crass

Recruit
Re: 2005 johnson 50 High speed shift...motor wont start.....Prop wont turn in nuetral

Under the bottom carb, there is a bolt to take out on the port side of the power head. Take the starter off to gain acess. When you remove the bolt it will release the shift rod , the lower unit will then drop down.

Thankyou for your help!
I now have the lower unit off. I now need to know how to get into the lower unit.
Is the propeler shaft the way to go as the **** rod looks sealed in?
When I moved the shift rod I finaly could turn the prop. but hear noise.
Can I pull the prop shaft with a wheel puller after removing the bolts to see how severe the damage. Is their anything else I need to do to get to the problem?
Can these lower units actually be repaired?
Can I now attempt to start the motor with the lower unit off, without causing any damage?
Looking forward to your expertteeze........................................................HELP

With Regards Crass

Rick.

Captain

Your probably not going to like this answer but... you need to get an OMC service manual for your specific yr,/model. It will give a play by play on how to break down the gear case and a whole lot more. No you don't want to run the engine unless you hook a hose to the copper tube to provide cooling. Best of luck. Rick.

crass

Recruit

Thanks Rick, I will attach the hose as you suggest. I wanted to make sure their is no more damage.
I did try but the model # j50plso came up as void. Mayby I typed it wrong and will try again. Would love to find a repair manuel. So I understand though, in your opinion, this can be repaired. Even thuough I've never repaired boat motors I am a Gen Contractor and extremly mechanicaly minded and feel if others can do this repair I can also, but a little slower. With this down time from bad economy I am forced to do my own work lately.

Rick.

Captain

Was not many years ago I had never touched on outboard let alone repaired one. I am confident you can do it with a manual and the help of others from this forum. Ebay is where I get my manuals. Look for a seller searayman I think it is, he can be trusted for sure. Gear case parts are normally expensive but ebay is a good source for those parts as well. Get a paper manual as many CD manuals are not worth a darn. So you motor turns over well with the leg removed? Rick.