1996 Evinrude 9.9-hard to start then no problems

TapOut64

Recruit
I've been battling a starting issue with my 9.9 Evinrude (E10REDD) Yesterday was the perfect example, I got on the lake and after roughly 25 pulls my motor would not start. 30 minutes later on around the 25th pull it starts. Now here's the kicker, for the rest of the day it starts on the very first pull every time. (I stopped and started my motor at least 20 times.)

I have a new fuel line and pushed a nail into the connector that goes to the motor while priming the bulb and verified I have fuel. I've also replaced the ignition coil. I've been having this issue for the last year or two but it's real intermittent. It seems that if I use the motor every weekend I do not have the problem but if it sits 2 weeks or more than I have the starting issue. After I replaced my fuel hose it worked great for a bit then messed up so I replaced the ignition coil after which it worked great (2-3 trips out) until yesterday.

Any help appreciated.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1996 Evinrude 9.9-hard to start then no problems

Replace the connectors on the fuel line and the primer bulb (use OMC not after market).

TapOut64

Recruit

I replaced my fuel hose with an OMC one and although is started up the first time I tried it today it took around 15 pulls. Any other ideas?

dazk14

Ensign

What is your starting technique? You can open throttle to the max it will go in neutral.

Verify the choke plate can COMPLETELY close. Not fully closing, even by a small amount can cause hard starting.

Does the fuel line/tank remain connected between use. If the vent is closed, pressure can build up and overfill the bowl effectively flooding it. If so, choking the motor will only make things worse.

If the motor is not normally connected to the tank, it is still possible to squeeze the bulb long enough to slightly flood the motor, but most cold motors will still start fine.

Does the motor start briefly when 1st cold started with choke and then die. Or does it never appear to catch.

This should get you started on the process...