Correct Champion Spark plug for my 1967 Evinrude 80HP

La007

Cadet
The champion website pointed me in the direction of a J8C or JC8 plug, but the shop manual said something similar to J6C, which converts into a new plug number which escapes my mind at the moment. Which should I get? Motor is a '67 Evinrude 80hp electric shift. Thanks!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Correct Champion Spark plug for my 1967 Evinrude 80HP

That's what turns my stomach about Champion. They'll tell you to use anything that fits the hole. J-8 is way hot. It is supposed to have a J-4-J, which would be a J-4-C now----if you can find any.

BonairII

Commander

NAPA should have them.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

A J6C might work also but nothing hotter. I can remember when J4J's were replaced by J6C's.

Haffiman

Commander

I would have tested out the J8C plugs.
Your compression is probably not what it was when new and fuel quality the same. Spark plug materials have changed dramatically over the last decades both when it comes to heat absorption and resistance against 'glowing'. In most engines the recommended heat range have been changed over the years and the ones best qualified to give recommendations are probably the plug manufacturers.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

In most engines the recommended heat range have been changed over the years and the ones best qualified to give recommendations are probably the plug manufacturers.

I think I would stick with the engine makers. The Champion charts are loaded with errors.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Not exactly marine related, but I went to purchase new plugs for my Dodge truck. The Factory service manual is very explicit about what plug to use and warns that any substitution may cause engine damage from pre-igniton.

So, I go to Advance Auto Parts and buy a set of plugs that the chart says is the replacement. They also say the "correct" plug is obsolete. Not being convinced, I call NAPA and ask what is the current plug. They give me a totally different number (same brand) than what I bought at Advance. So...I call the Dodge dealer. They have the correct number in stock, no problem. Not obsolete at all. I bought them and took the Advance ones back to the store.

May I add...the ones from the dealer were actually lower priced than Advance Auto.

BonairII

Commander

So, I go to Advance Auto Parts and buy a set of plugs that the chart says is the replacement. They also say the "correct" plug is obsolete.

Obsolete means..."We don't carry that plug, so it must not exist".