1964 Johnson MQ fuel pump repair kit

kax2000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1964 Johnson MQ
Is there a repair kit available for this fuel pump?
I cannot seem to find the correct part # for the kit by application.
Any help would be appreciated.

PICT0071.jpg

kfa4303

Banned
Re: 1964 Johnson MQ fuel pump repair kit

Hi kax. I don't think there is a rebuild kit for that pump. You either have to get the old one working, or buy a new one :/ The OMC replacement part is about $55-$65 , but some folks use after market pumps made by companies like Briggs and Stratton. They require a bit of modification and usually don't mount flush on the engine, but they work just as well. But before you do all of that, are you sure the pump is really bad? There are a couple ways to check. If you disconnect the fuel line going from the fuel pump to the carb, while the motor is running, and you see a pulse of fuel, it's probably ok. If you can pump the fuel primer bulb until it gets firm, then it's also probably ok. You can also remove the pump from the engine housing and prime it with fuel and check for leaks on the backside of the pump. If there aren't any leaks then you're probably ok. Give those tricks a try and see what you find.

kax2000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I pulled the hose coming from the pump to carb while spraying with spray bottle to keep the engine running....there was no fuel coming out at all from the line to the carb.
I opened it up and found this....could that cause 100% blockage or is the pump shot?

PICT0074.jpg

kayladog1

Recruit

Did you ever figure out if the fuel pump was bad or find parts. I have the same pump that needs rebuild

Cap'n Chaos

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've looked for a rebuild kit before as well.... there isn't one. You have to buy a new fuel pump.

They do make rebuild kits for the newer pumps (the small SQUARE type) they will NOT work with the old style pumps. (I checked that out as well.)

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Delete

kfa4303

Banned

Hi kax. it does lok pretty dirty in there. I would try to spray/rinse out as much of that dirt as possible. use a bit of your fuel/oil mix, a toothpick and some compressed air (if you have it). Make sure that the passage behind the pump, on the power head, is clear too. There are also a couple tricks/tests to see how it's working. You SHOULD be able to blow air into the intake nipple, but you should NOT be able to blow into the outlet nipple. When it's resembled and reinstalled, you should be able to pump up the bulb on your fuel tank until firm, with the motor off. If it gets firm and stays that may for 30sec-1min, then it's probably ok. If you need to pump the bulb while the motor is running to keep it going, then the pump is probably bad. If you can't get it cleaned up and reassembled, then I would try finding a junk/donor motor to take a pump off of. They should be fairly easy to find. Make sure you have a nice tight seal between the black plastic piece in your pic and the pump housing when you reassemble the pump too. Keep us posted.

Cap'n Chaos

Petty Officer 1st Class

Forgot to mention, the cork gasket around the filter, and the black plastic cap is still available... check your local BRP dealer and be prepared. (I paid about $9 for just the cork gasket.)

I thought my pump was bad but it was the gasket & cap that was allowing it to suck air/ leak.

kax2000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I did clean out the pump. Not sure how all that crap accumulated on the screen.
To me it looked like rubber hose "dust". It must have been building up for years and finally 100% blockage.
Re-assembled and the motor runs better than it ever has.

kfa4303

Banned

awesome!!! glad she's running!

lindy46

Captain

Not sure how all that crap accumulated on the screen.
To me it looked like rubber hose "dust".

Hope you replaced the fuel lines or it will clog up again.

kfa4303

Banned

agreed. get a couple feet of new fuel line just to be safe. you can get it at any autoparts store. just take in your old hoses and they'll cut you some new ones to length. glad she's running again.