40 Hp Evinrude Compression test

Hey guys I am brand new on here and I have a 40 HP 1985ish outboard. The battery in my boat is dead. Is it okay to hook jumper cables up directly to the positive and negative terminal wires just for the compression test? I don't want to buy a battery yet until I know how the compression is. Got the boat and motor for free so I guess I could put a little cash into the project.:D Im open to any advice!

fireman57

Captain
Re: 40 Hp Evinrude Compression test

hook the jumper cables to the battery terminals. don't hook them to terminals on the boat as jumper cable clamps are pretty large and you don't want to accidently touch anything else and short out things like a rectifier.

Thanks for the input! Will this work even if the battery is dead?

fireman57

Captain

If a battery is too dead you won't be able to jump it. Unhook cables from the dead battery and hook your jumper cable to them. Make sure that you have a really good connection though.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If the motor sat for a while shoot some pb blaster into the cylinders and wait a while before testing. See the top secret file about awakening a sleeping outboard at the top of the page. Stuck rings may give a bad compression reading, but can sometimes be unstuck without a major teardown.

I tested the compression. 120 psi on to cylinder and 90 psi on bottom. What does this mean? What should I do now?

nwcove

Admiral

set the motor carb down, remove the plugs, bring the bottom cyl to tdc, as mentioned above give it some pb blaster in bottom cyl, let it soak, spin the flywheel a few times by hand, then retry comp test.

nwcove

Admiral

oh..sorry, just bring the bottom cyl up to the plug hole "top dead center", if the piston is below the exhaust or intake port, anything you spray in it will just run out and do nothing. (try to make the motor as level as possible so the solvent goes around the rings fully.)

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Auto parts store or walmart it's like wd 40.

watergecko

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Wd40 is a water displacement chemical, not a penetrating fluid. It also leaves a film that contributes to further sticking once it dries, so no. Get pb or any "penetrating flud" at wallyworld or local auto parts store.

Just like having right tool for job, ya need right chemicals too. Would ya use a wrench as a hammer?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=43.998224,-88.540333

fireman57

Captain

let it soak for a couple of days and go out a few times a day and try to turn the flywheel by hand with the plugs out. It should eventually unstick. You might need to keep squiting pbb in there daily so it can work it's magic.

nwcove

Admiral

quote "Just like having right tool for job, ya need right chemicals too. Would ya use a wrench as a hammer? "
ummm.....if i cant find a hammer? yes! lol

will the motor run? use some seafoam in the fuel, it could help, if it is a stuck ring problem.