1972 Evinrude 65HP Servicing (model number 65272S)

510_nz

Recruit
Hi everyone. Just bought my first boat and it has one of these old motors on it. It has good compression and initially had some shifting issues which I have now resolved with the help of reading older posts on this forum. I've ordered a water pump rebuild kit from crowley marine and was wondering if there was anything else I should do servicing wise (apart from changing the gear unit oil and spark plugs, which I plan to do) before I hit the water this summer.

My friend who works on later model engines told me to replace the anode and the thermostat, but I'm not sure if it has either of these. It looks like the whole motor is an anode and I can't see an obvious thermostat housing like I'm used to from working on car and motorbike engines.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks, Glen.

jbjennings

Captain
Re: 1972 Evinrude 65HP Servicing (model number 65272S)

I would clean the carbs and change the fuel lines. If the carbs aren't dirty now, they soon will be when the ethanol hits them.
I would also install a water pump indicator because you can't see it pumping water from the boat side, and it's really cheap and easy. There's a thread on how to do it in the "top secret files" section, or the "Frequently asked questions" section.
Be very careful of the shift wires when you change the impeller. If you ruin the waterproof insulation for the knife connectors, you'll have to use heat shrink tubing on them.
I'd also go through the wiring system to check for deteriorating wire and insulation, and remove and clean all connections. It's battery cd ignition and it likes good connections and at least a 600 cranking amp battery that's fully charged. I don't think it likes deep cycle batteries, either.
Good luck,
JBJ

510_nz

Recruit

Thanks JBJ. I was planning on a carb clean and fuel filter change, we only have ethanol in our fuel at one fuel station chains in New Zealand, so I wasn't going to change my lines, I was just going to avoid that station. I think someone has already added a telltale to my engine, there is a hose running from a union on the top rear left of the engine down to the bottom rear right, out a hole. I haven't ran it up with muffs yet so not sure if this is what the hose is for. Will add electrical system inspection and clean to the jobs list. I only have a piddly little car battery at the moment, so may have to change that too.

Do you know if these have an anode or thermostat?

Cheers, Glen.

jbjennings

Captain

Yes, it has a thermostat. It's part # 0396987
Here's a link to the parts diagram: http://www.crowleymarine.com/johnson-evinrude/parts/42729.cfm

If you aren't running in saltwater or leaving your boat docked in water for long periods, I wouldn't worry about an anode. I don't think this motor has one, anyway, unless the trim tab is made of zinc and it acts as the anode.
Good luck-----I didn't realize you were from New Zealand. Certainly a beautiful country, and one I'd love to visit someday. I'd especially like to see one of your red stags.
Later,
JBJ

510_nz

Recruit

Thanks JBJ. I could swear I looked at that diagram and didn't see the thermostat. Hopefully I can find one locally as I've already placed an order at crowley and don't want to pay shipping on another if I can avoid it.

NZ is indeed a beautiful country, were you hoping to see one of our red stags through a rifle scope? I'v not shot any of the red, but a few of the fallow deer, which are much smaller. Very nice eating.

Thanks again, Glen.