15 hp evinrude seizure? Think its ok

highroller

Recruit
I just bought a 1984 evinrude 15 hp outboard, it looked mint, got it from a friend, it sat for 2 years till yesterday, he hooked the hose to it and minimal water came out the pee hole, it ran great, then I got it home put in on the river, started it up and backed it off the trailer, I then noticed NO water was coming out the hole at this time, I thought maybe it intake sucked in grass or something so I took it for a real real short circle , within 3 minutes of starting it , it just lost power and bogged down and shut off, smoke coming out of the cover and all, so I took it off the water asuming the impeller went bad and resulted in the engine locking up, my question is this, when I got back to the trailer 5 min I pulled the cord to see if it was still locked up it was not, I let it cool down compleatly and tried starting it, she fired right up, is it possible there was no damage or minimal damage and once I get the impeller replaced that all may be ok?

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 15 hp evinrude seizure? Think its ok

These motors sem to be pretty bullet-proof, like the energizer bunny, can take a licking & keep on ticking. Change the impeller & try it again.

Watch the tell-tale, however if you have any chunks of the old impeller that may have deteriorated, some of these chunks can plug the tell-tale. This is no problem as long as the pump is working as the tell-tale is only a indicator pulling of a small amount of water as compared to the rest of the water that goes into the block/thermostat. If you suspect the tell-tale is plugged, use a wire or chunk of a weed-eater cord & poke it up inside the tell-tale to try & dislodge any debris that may be stuck there.

Good Luck

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 15 hp evinrude seizure? Think its ok

Do a compression test on it and if that's okay re-torque your cyl head bolts before running again.