check valve under carb throttle plate question!!

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
hello changing my carbs and fuel pump today, I have the both the carbs off and the throttle plate off the port side and I went to degrease the whole area and blow it off.. i am using a cleaner that evaporate quickly but degreases really great..lots of oil from the leaking fuel system everywhere...when i went to blow the degreaser off, one of the check valves came apart and the insides came out!!

10wv9rn.jpg

if I leave it out, whats the issue.. i was trying to put this all together to run tomorrow..

the 97 manifold i have sitting on my bench has a different style check valvee, and they look like they will get destroyedf you tryy to remove one....thus i seems like i HAVE to buy a new one...

I found the metal ring that goes inside, but the solid piece behind that is somewhere on the groundd..

I tried to turn the brass colored housing and it seems to crumble and push in deeeper

can i leave this part out?

thanks

bob

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: check valve under carb throttle plate question!!

No. It's part of the oil recirculation and it effects mainly idle. With it out you could start getting some spit-back at idle. Has no effect on WOT.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: check valve under carb throttle plate question!!

I knocked one that is a different style out of my 97 manifold( same series engine...) and installed it....

not a lot of info on thjose in the book....just says flush with alcohol and make sure they are operational. doesnt say how to remove and replace.....

the 97 unit has a screen inside..the 95 didnt...

thanks for the reply

bob