2000 Johnson 8hp Wont Accelerate - Possible cause?????????

nanaimogreg

Recruit
I have a 2000 8 hp Johnson that runs and revs fine in neutral, but when you put in in gear it wont accelerate past 1/3 power. Even when the throttle is held wide open, it will just chug along at what seems like 1/3rd power without accelerating further and not bogging dow either. It will run fine at this lower power level with no smoke,no missing, no shaking adn no stalling. Everything sounds good at this speed but the RPM's will not pick up.

Also the motor will not run well at low idle. It wants to stall at low idle and even when well warmed up it is hard starting and I have to use the choke to start it when it stalls.

In summary symptoms are as follows:
  1. Hard starting even when warm
  2. Runs fine and am able to rev to high RPM in neutral
  3. When under load in gear, it will not accelerate past 1/3 throttle despite the throttle being held wide open
  4. Does not bog down or stall when held wide open
  5. Runs normal when held wide open, just in a slow state
  6. Runs ruff at idle and at slow speeds and it seems to help a bit to partially pull the choke out.

Any ideas on what this might be would be appreciated??

Carberation?? Electrical??

We are having someone look at it who thinks it might be the carb?

Haffiman

Commander
Re: 2000 Johnson 8hp Wont Accelerate - Possible cause?????????

You may have a carb that needs some service, or it might just run on one cylinder.
Do a compression check.
Verify that it runs on both cylinders (spark test and simply pull a plug wire).
If both compression and spark/running both verification turns out, time to look at the carb.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Pay no attention to how it revs in neutral, it means nothing, even most poor running motors will do this well.

nanaimogreg

Recruit

Thank you. I will post the results of what is found.