1985 90hp rude - VRO oil consumption?

basser01

Cadet
I have a 1985 90 hp evinrude that I have been running since I got it with the oil tank hooked up/filled and marked for initial level as well as tank mixing 50;1 until I can confirm that the VRO is working properly. My question is how much oil should this motor be consuming? I have run just over twenty gallons of fuel through various regular use throttle positions (maybe 40% of the time at Higher RPM's). The oil tank is down about 3 inches from the initial fill mark. Is this enough or is there a way to confirm that the motor is getting enough oil?

V153

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1985 90hp rude - VRO oil consumption?

Well if doesn't smoke too bad & it hasn't blown up yet I'd reckon the VRO is probly working okay. Here's an idea: Measure the amount of oil it takes to fill the tank back to your mark, then calculate that against the amount of fuel used and see if ya end up anywhere near 50:1?

Some say VRO got a bad rap. That it was a purty good system once they ironed a few of the initial bugs out. However I have an '86 90 that I run bypassed/pre-mixed. Call me old school but I prefer to be the one to blame if the motor runs outa oil. Not some questionable contraption bolted on the side?

cdn-pk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

in the maintenance manual (not clymer or seloc) there is a procedure to test this. it involves a clear tubing and some graduated marks. personally i love my VRO! i think it got a bad rap. but what do i know

V153

Lieutenant Commander

in the maintenance manual (not clymer or seloc) there is a procedure to test this. it involves a clear tubing and some graduated marks. personally i love my VRO! i think it got a bad rap. but what do i know
Like I said when it works it works good. But boy if it fails what a catastrophy. Tbk I halfway considered seeing if the VRO worked on my motor when I bought it but it had already been bypassed so I figgered I'd leave well enough alone?

Haffiman

Commander

Roughly the consumption is about 2%, same as premix. As I'm used to metric, I used to make a mark on the tank for 1 L (1 quart). That would mean about 50 L (12 Gal) of fuel.