2005 150 hp Evinrude difficult problem.

Rob1969

Recruit
Hello: If anyone can help with this, it would be greatly appreciated.
My 150 hp starts and runs great, until you travel more than 10 minutes at around 5 mph or under 10 km/h. Because, after this, if you try to go full throttle it simply bogs down like its only firing on 3 cyl's and then stalls. You can't start it again for sometime after this.
Now your probably thinking that it sounds like the engine is flooding, and that is exactly what my mechanic thought, but after several hrs of checking fuel pressure, leaks, fuel pump, etc. He could not find anything wrong with the engine. He took it out for a run and guess what... it worked perfect. Problem solved? Its a miracle or something?
Nope... because this is the third time this has happend. I get the boat back, take it out for a run and whammo.. the problem starts all over again.
So, in a nutshell... This engine will run all day long at w.o.t. pulling my kids in a tube or getting to my favorite fishing hole. But when you run the engine for a few minutes at around 5 mph.... well lets just say that I'm glad I have a kicker motor on the back to get me home.
Any thoughts?
Rob

hidef

Lieutenant
Re: 2005 150 hp Evinrude difficult problem.

Is the engine throwing any codes? Almost sounds like the water pump isn't pumping enough water at the lower RPMs and the engine is over heating.

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: 2005 150 hp Evinrude difficult problem.

Check the igmition output. If you go back to fuel system, connect a guage between the carbuator and VST, check pressure at idle, should be 3 psi. If you can`t find problem at idle or cranking rpms, then meters and guages with long wires hoses, run the boat until it acts up, while checking meters.