Need some help with a 1970 6R70 6HP

RAMoore

Recruit
Hi folks. A new owner with an old problem. The motor seems to crank and run OK. But it seems to run very rich and won't idle down enough to change gears. I've cleaned and set the points, checked the plugs, cleaned the fuel filter (not dirty), added new gas(93 octane with ethanol stabilizer) and played with the fast idle adjustment. The fast idle doesn't seem to do anything. Taking the adjustment rod out I can't see anything and not sure if I should.

I want to rebuild the Carb. Where to get a kit? And any other suggestions for repairs? Thanks

RAMoore

Recruit
Re: Need some help with a 1970 6R70 6HP

I think I found the problem with the idle and richness problem.

CIMG0023.jpg

CIMG0024.jpg

Someone had screwed the idle mixture stem in until it broke:eek: And it didn't even have a knob on it. It looks like a pair of pliers was used. A bugger to get out too. But fortunately I had some small prick tools and was able to push/punch it out.

Anyway, a good cleaning won't hurt it. And this may be able to explain why I was able to buy the boat,motor, and trailer for 500 bucks! They had tried new plugs, gas tank, and fuel line.

But another question. I assume that the welch plug in the one on top that I had to drill out. Will a new one be in the carb rebuild kit I ordered from the above mentioned link?

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: Need some help with a 1970 6R70 6HP

But another question. I assume that the welch plug in the one on top that I had to drill out. Will a new one be in the carb rebuild kit I ordered from the above mentioned link?
Yes.