Comments on a Johnson 115 Saltwater Series

Sakajawea

Recruit
Looking at an old boat with a "new" 115 Saltwater Series. Seller claims the engine has less than 20 hours. I am a bit leery about paying the premium for a new engine, when it is no longer being sold. Any thoughts out there on the Johnson 115? I don't really need a saltwater engine as I am mostly on freshwater. Also, what was the selling price for these engines when new?

Thanks

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Comments on a Johnson 115 Saltwater Series

There wasn't anything terribly special about the "Saltwater Series". It's just an almost new old motor, which shouldn't command a big premium. You haven't said the year, but I would just value it as a used motor in excellent condition and go from there. Obviously, it doesn't have any warranty.

What it sold for new is kind of not relevant, it's just an old, little used motor. Look for used motors in excellent condition to get a clue as to value.

Sakajawea

Recruit

Jim,

Thanks for the insight. I will find out, but probably a 2007 or 2008. Didn't realize that they cancelled the warranty when the line was discontinued.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

They (BRP) didn't cancel the warranty. I don't think they warranted the carbed Johnsons for more the three years, so it's unlikely any warranty still exists, but check. In any case, it's still a four or five year old motor, just low hours, which isn't necessarily a good thing. Used boats/motors are selling very poorly right now, as are new ones. It's totally a buyers market, so be careful about any smoke and BS. The motor is clearly NOT new, so don't think of it as new.

I would check or have someone check the lower unit for any water and check the compression as well. The motor may not have been properly winterized, which can have serious bad effects.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

I agree if the seller wants top dollar for a 'new' engine on an old boat he's dreaming. Find another seller. They're everywhere and more than a few are desperate.

Question for the Vice Admiral: I was always led to believe the Saltwater Series motors were put together with more anti-corrosive parts, fasteners, etc. Is this not the case?

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

salt water series motors have a lot more stainless steel hardware i bet.. I have three ocean runner-ocean pros, which were also saltwater "series" motors... and every single piece of hardware i have touched on that motor was stainless steel

bob

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks Bob. That's what I thought.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Every piece except maybe the T&T pump. I have never had an engine that the T&T pump wasn't rusted. What is the deal with that anyway, why did OMC make those pumps so vulnerable to saltwater/rust?

V153

Lieutenant Commander

why did OMC make those pumps so vulnerable to saltwater/rust?
Sad to say, job security? Heck ya never sell another one if ya make it last forever?

Not to say that was OMC's intention back then ... But nowadays manufacturers have it down to a science. I bought a battery with a two year replacement warranty on 9/9/09. It just croaked on 9/11/11.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

BRP did the same thing with the blue and the white E-Tecs, with the white ones being the 'saltwater" ones. They were all virtually identical, except the color. I don't think this was anything but a marketing adventure, with no real difference.