tilt/trim for 1988 88hp johnson outboard

slim hays

Cadet
I have found a tilt/trim that came off a 1988 70hp johnson. Will it fit my 1988 88hp johnson??

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: tilt/trim for 1988 88hp johnson outboard

Not that hard to do if you have the required tools and equipment to lift the motor off of the boat. If your controls are the ones that the 88 came with, they likely wont have the trim switch so you will have to consider that as well. Cost is dependant on where / who you buy from and how lucky you get... I always look for private sellers with complete damaged motors for sale, dealers in used outboard parts may want more $ than you want to spend.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

You actually have at least a couple options. Both the origional T&T for that year or OMC's newer model called fast trac will fit. Keep an eye on ebay, craiglist etc. Y'oughta be able to pick up a decent one for a couple hundred bucks. As mentioned you will probably have to rig a switch. For your particular boat any location will be okay long as you can reach it. Think I would mount a switch on the control lever. If ya wanna get fancy you can replace the lever on the control box with one that has an integral trim switch. This does not require taking the box apart btw.

Also I don't believe the motor has to be removed to install the unit. Raised yes but not removed from the transom. Could be wrong but I think all the bolts come in from the sides?

Good luck! These days trim is a must have.

slim hays

Cadet

Thanks for the information...you have been a big help

slim hays

Cadet

Thank you for the information....if you here of anybody with a blown motor with a tilt/trim on it please let me know...Thanks again