1962 Evinrude Fisherman 5.5 HP Piston/Ring Set Needed

Chaparralbob

Seaman
I recently acquired a 1962 model 5224R 5.5HP Evinrude Fisherman. It is complete, but literally hasn't run in 20 years. It has a few ignition issues, and poor compression. I pulled the head and the head gasket appeared to be OK. One cylinder was just below 50 PSI, and the other was about 55 PSI. The bore is smooth and looks good. I'm guessing the problem is frozen rings.

I'm waiting right now for the PB Blaster to do its thing on 4 screws that hold the Armature Plate Support to the case so I can split the case and pop the pistons out.

I have had pretty good luck looking for most of the parts, but can't seem to find any info on the pistons or rings.

Rings (std) 486275
Piston (std) 376994

Can anyone recommend a good place for these parts and other internal engine parts? Everybody seems to go back to 1968, but not many go to 1962.

Thanks!

Chaparralbob

Seaman
Re: 1962 Evinrude Fisherman 5.5 HP Piston/Ring Set Needed

Thanks tx1961whaler!

I had been there, but I must have typed something wrong!

Both parts you mentioned are available. I did a lot of business with MarineEngine.com while restoring an old 70 HP Evinrude - they are a good company.

I'm hoping that I will only need rings, but we'll see.

Any thoughts on where I might find a ring compressor this small?

Thanks!

Gwichers

Cadet

I just rebuilt my 56 5.5hp powerhead and could not find one. Ended up doing it by hand realy, realy slow and steady. Checking each one for play on the alignment pin before going to the next. Compression came out to 90's when i got it back together. Good luck.

lindy46

Captain

Before going to all the trouble of replacing the rings, pour some Seafoam in the cylinders with the holes pointing up and let it soak a few days. That will probably improve your compression numbers by 10 or 15psi - and 65psi and even on both cylinders would not be bad for that engine.

kfa4303

Banned

I agree with lindy46. Sea foam your engine and check the compression again. You'll be amazed at what that stuff can do. It'll smoke like @#$#@, but it's the best $10 you can spend on your motor and can only help. Tilt the motor so that the s'plugs point up. Remove the plugs and pour/spray a few teaspoons of Sea foam into each cylinder and replace the s'plugs lightly. Let it sit for a few days and gently pull the engine over a few times day (with plugs wires disconected of course). Then stand her up, reconnect the plugs and wires and run her in a test tank with the rest of the can of sea foam in 1 gal of your normal fuel/oil mix then run all of that through the motor. After that, mix a fresh batch of your normal fuel/oil mix and get her on the water and run her at WOT for a while (20-30 min.). She's gonna smoke like crazy at first, but that's ok. Check the compression again when you get back to the dock and see what you find. You may be surprised. Anything over 60 psi is actually pretty good for that little engine. It is only 5.5 hp after all. If the compression is still too low after the Sea Foam, then it may be worth getting into the guts, but you may as well try the cheapest/easiest fix first.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I was going to say the same. Try a decarb first. Could save a lot of work. Those 5.5's don't have high compression anyway.

nwcove

Admiral

i agree with all the above, soak it! if the cyls dont show signs of corrosion it is worth the time and effort of being patient with it.

Chaparralbob

Seaman

Thanks to all for your input! I appreciate the help very much!!!!

While checking the thermostat, I found the thermostat housing literally plugged up with very fine sand. That was a little scary! So, I went ahead an split the cases an pulled the pistons. There were a bunch of areas in the water jacket also plugged up with fine sand! The pistons are in excellent shape, and the rings (not frozen) appear to be in good shape. The skirts of the pistons have some very small scratches, but I can't really feel them.

Amazingly, none of the bolts were frozen!

The only thing I can't understand is a small scratch in the middle main bearing. It is just deep enough to see shiny metal under the scratch. There is no corresponding scratch in the crank journal that I can see, so I'm a bit confused. I wonder if this is grounds for replacement, or if I should just run them?

Also, I may have made a bad move when I pulled the rod caps. I had no idea that the needle bearings were not caged! I think I caught them all. Between the two rods, I counted 60 needle bearings. Does this sound right?

It is amazing to me how many posts and websites I have found with good help and information on this motor. There must still be a bunch of them out there!

Thanks!