first boat 76 jhonson 85 missing choke solenoid!

poncholero

Cadet
hello , im here with my first boat.. bought her from a friend that let it sit for a year
i dont know much about this engines but its really loud and it seems to me that it hesitates, or doesnt have a stay idle! is this normal?

i bought a repair manual
i have replace battery
i have clean the carbs
test compression 120 on all cylinders
check spark- good blue spark for all coils.
added it a fuel filter
replace fuel lines

i have found that the choke solenoid is missing. coulld this be my problem? im planning on buying one but my manual does not say where the cables are suppose to be connected or how this unit works?

i also want to know on how to check the impeller without removing the lower unit?i let the engine run for 5 minutes and the top of the lower unit was hot and the water coming out of the top back hole was hot to,it wsant super hot i put my hand and it didnt burn. is this normal?

im gonna upload a video to let u guys tell me if the engine is having a rough idle or not! thank you

BonairII

Commander
Re: first boat 76 jhonson 85 missing choke solenoid!

I doubt that a missing choke solenoid is the problem...unless without it, your choke butterflies are closed. My choke busted the other day and I just zip-tied the butterflies open and motor runs fine.

poncholero

Cadet

well i turn the manual choke to on and the engine die, but when is left in automatic or off nothing happens

BonairII

Commander

Just make sure that your choke butterflies are completely vertical (unless you're choking it to start it, that is)

BonairII

Commander

Your motor starts very quickly which is a positive.

When you say that you 'cleaned the carbs'...did you completely disassemble them and clean every orifice? Paying special attention to your low speed jets/circuit?

Did you check spark with an adjustable spark tester? Did spark jump at least 7/16ths of an inch?

Are your plugs correct? And gapped correctly?

It might help you if you could get the motor leg in a trash can full of water so you have some backpressure when the motor is idling, so you can adjust it properly.

poncholero

Cadet

yes to all the questions..

im gonna try to get it in the water this weekend! i just want to make sure the impeller is working properly. i just dont want to take the lower unit out? any ideas?

BonairII

Commander

I assume that you don't have a 'tell tale' on your motor, correct? If no tell-tale then water should be spritzing out of the upper exhaust after the thermostat opens(which shouldn't take long) on muffs.

When the motor is running on the water you should get a good amount of spray out of the upper exhaust.

taylor786

Cadet

yes to all the questions..

im gonna try to get it in the water this weekend! i just want to make sure the impeller is working properly. i just dont want to take the lower unit out? any ideas?

Water pump! On the video there is no water coming out of the upper exhaust ports! Thats normal routine service anyways don't hesitate replacing it, easy fix along with changing your lower unit oil! BTW thats a good ol motor! They are loud and sound rough out of the water.

poncholero

Cadet

yea i did see some water sprinkling from both of the two upper holes but it was minimal.. thank you guys for your help..i got this boat from a friend for $200 bucks.. so its a good deal

BonairII

Commander

Minimal water is ok at idle. Mine "spritzes" at idle, but really picks up when I'm cruising along in the water.

Put your hand in front of the upper exhaust while it's idling.... your hand should get wet somewhat quickly.

Just make sure to check the output once it's running on the water.

laotou

Seaman

i dont know much about this engines but its really loud and it seems to me that it hesitates, or doesnt have a stay idle! is this normal?

i have found that the choke solenoid is missing. coulld this be my problem? im planning on buying one but my manual does not say where the cables are suppose to be connected or how this unit works?

i also want to know on how to check the impeller without removing the lower unit?i let the engine run for 5 minutes and the top of the lower unit was hot and the water coming out of the top back hole was hot to,it wsant super hot i put my hand and it didnt burn. is this normal?

Nice engine!
1. That engine is loud for sure. At idle, it sometimes seems going to die. As long as it still runs, it is OK.
2. Choke solenoid is for cold start. As the engine starts and warms up, the choke is opened. If you miss the choke solenoid, the choke value is always open.
3. Choke solenoid is connected to a pair of wires linked to the choke switch at the Command Center. The switch is under the ignition switch. From your video, you did not lift the warm-up lever. It was a warm start, I believe. If you can start the motor from cold, you don't need that solenoid.
4. If you set the choke lever to On, the engine will die.
5. When the engine runs on muffs, you will only see a sprinkle of water coming out the two exhaust relief holes. If you put the low unit in a barrel, more hot water will spit out. The temperature is about 130 F.

poncholero

Cadet

ok guys i took the boat out. it start and ran good.. however after setting the engine in neutral it will die..and it will not turn on again unless the primer is pump a couple times.. then it will stay on for a 30 second and it will die if let in neutral....i took me a while to figured out how to started again... but yea i will have to go back pump some gas turn it on and then go.. every time i switch back to neutral it will die after 30seconds..

another question when i took the boat out of the water and removed the plug a lot of water came out of that hole.. is this normal? it was seriously 5 minutes of running water coming out of that hole..

laotou

Seaman

I attached a picture of the throttle cam. When the engine is at idle, the roller is at the red arrow position. When the warm-up lever is lifted, the roller is at the blue arrow position. It is the cold start position. As a temporary solution, you may lift the warm-up lever a little to keep it idle.

camshaft.jpg

laotou

Seaman

Attached is a picture of the choke solenoid.

chokesolenoid.jpg

fireman57

Captain

before it dies pump the primer bulb if it picks up and runs right then you need to change/rebuild your fuel pump. If you have that much water running out of your drain hole you have a pretty good leak. check and make sure that plug is fitting properly. If you have a live well check it for leaks that get under your decking. sometimes the hook on the front of the boat gets loose and lets water in. You really need to find this leak or make sure that you have a great bilge pump