'93 Johnson 88spl...any tips on changing/examining water pump. Linkage detail needed

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer
I recently acquired this johnson 88spl motor and need to check water pump as part of my new owner maint. I've done most everything else and need some advice on dealing with shift linkage. I hear ugly stories about disconnecting it. Thanks!

jeremy5780

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: '93 Johnson 88spl...any tips on changing/examining water pump. Linkage detail ne

Nothing to fear, I have done it a few times. The manual states to shift into reverse position and pull the retaining pin from the shift lever then push the shift lever twords the power head. Remove the bolts holding the lower unit on and it will slide right down. Make sure while the lower unit is off NOT to mess with or turn the shift shaft as it is set at a certain height and messing this height up will affect it shifting in and out of gear. replace the water pump and slide the lower unit back in making sure the water tube goes into the water pump, the exhaust housing lines up and the shift shaft does not get hung up. You may need to move the fly wheel to get the drive shaft to fit into the crank once it all comes together put the bolts back in and reatach the shift linkage.

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer
Re: '93 Johnson 88spl...any tips on changing/examining water pump. Linkage detail ne

thanks Jeremy