Carburetor Leaking out front of throat on Evinrude 33HP Ski Twin, 2 cylinder (1966??)

rickward47

Recruit
I just bought an old V hull 15 ft aluminum boat with a 33 HP Evinrude, 2 cylinder Ski Twin motor. Drove it down the river for over an hour and it ran fine. Then it started to sputter and the bulb in the fuel line was sucked flat. The engine died. I opened the gas cap to relieve pressure and it re-inflated. Pumped the bulb a few times and it ran fine again for about 5 minutes then started to sputter again. This time the bulb was not de-flated. I pumped it a couple of times while the engine was still running and it seemed to level off but started sputtering again about a minute later, then went dead. I pumped the bulb again and gas pours out the front of the carburetor throat. Towed it home and filled garbage can up with water to place the foot in. Engine starts, runs fine for about a minute and shuts back off as gas flows out the carburetor throat.

Old car mechanic but not a boat mechanic. I would think that sounds like the float being stuck (if it has one). Would like to know somone else's thoughts. Could it be the fuel pump? I found carburetor kits on iboats.com for the 33 hp but no fuel pumps, although some of the pictures shown look similar to mine. Can anybody help before I screw it up? Thanks,

Rick Ward

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Carburetor Leaking out front of throat on Evinrude 33HP Ski Twin, 2 cylinder (196

Sounds like the needle and seat or float is messed up in the carb. Get a kit with all the parts in it and repair.