wiring diagram for a 3 wire tilt trim pump

thedon1268

Recruit
I actually have a 1990 CMC PL-65 jack plate that uses the same motor (a prestolite HYB 5001) and need to get a diagram, or a pre made wiring harness. The original Johnson number is a 172850 or 173596. I have the replacement motor threw API, # PT 114N. I need a way to get this wired up correctly.
Any help is greatly appreceated!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: wiring diagram for a 3 wire tilt trim pump

The maxrules.com web site has several wiring diaghrams. The older PTT systems used 3 wire motors. The wires were for Up(blue), Down(Green) and Ground(Black). Solenoids or heavy switches applied +12VDC to the Blue ire for up or +12VDC to the green wire for down.

The newer PTT motors use 2 wire motors and Double throw relays. If you put +12VDC on the blue wire and grounded the green wire, the PTT mortor spins in the up direction. if you put +12VDC on the green wire and ground the blue wire, the PTT motor spins in the down direction.

thedon1268

Recruit

Thanks for the info! This motor is a "wire wound field motor" with the 3 wires on the pump. CMC did fax me a way to wire it with solenoids, but im wondering about wiring it with a high voltage type switch. Do you or anyone know of a way to do that?
Thanks in advance.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

You mean a high amperage switch. Certainly it can be done, if you can find a switch that is rated for 35Amps or so(just a guess about the necessary amperage). You will need to run heavy wire (6Ga or 8Ga) from the battery to the switch and then back to the blue and green wires of the PTT motor.

kodied

Recruit

does anyone know how to wire the newer ptt motors with the green and blue wire like was mentioned in the first post??

belairbrian

Petty Officer 1st Class

does anyone know how to wire the newer ptt motors with the green and blue wire like was mentioned in the first post??

here is a simplified drawing i drew up for building a 2 wire tilt circuit without using the factory OMC harness
tilttrimwiring.jpg

belairbrian

Petty Officer 1st Class

i think it will help but not sure how to read it ??
Guess I should have labeled it.

tilttrimwiringlabeled.jpg

Explanation:
12v DC is connected to the normally open outputs of each relay

The normally closed contacts are connected to ground

12v DC is connected to the input of a center off two position momentary on switch (Mom-off-Mom)

The blue and green wires from the motor are connected to the common contact of the relays.
When the switch is moved left (down) 12 v DC is applied to the relay coil of the down relay through the green/white wire. The relay energizes applying 12v DC to the green wire of the motor and driving it in the down direction

When the switch is moved right (up) 12 v DC is applied to the relay coil of the up relay through the blue/white wire. The relay energizes applying 12v DC to the blue wire of the motor and driving it in the up direction