1993 Evinrude 175 HP impeller shift rod linkage dissassembly for gearcase removal

pdanker1

Recruit
Model E175NXTAG
S/N G 03257083

Lots of good posts on methods to release the gear shift rod to lower the gearcase to replace the impeller.

I have not found any specific to my needs.

Cowls removed, top of shift rod is connected to a fulcrum piece with a PIN just below the carbs (see Pics). Currently in reverse gear.

Lower unit dropped about an inch at this point.

Is the screw/bolt to be removed still further down the shift rod or do I drive out this pin?
Hopefully the Port and Starbord pics make this (first time).

Standing by for your posts.
Jules

Attachments

• 175 HP shift rod Starboard 001.jpg
    175 HP shift rod Starboard 001.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 175 HP shift rod Starboard 006.jpg
    175 HP shift rod Starboard 006.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 0

pdanker1

Recruit
Re: 1993 Evinrude 175 HP impeller shift rod linkage dissassembly for gearcase removal

Follow up.
This is the "bolt" perhaps as it holds the fulcrum on to the parallel shift 'piston'.
I am presumng if this is the said bolt, that the fulcrum will be dropped down with the shift rod.

Thoughts

Attachments

• Fulcrum bolt 008.jpg
    Fulcrum bolt 008.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 0

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1993 Evinrude 175 HP impeller shift rod linkage dissassembly for gearcase removal

Gee, It looks to be the same as my '98 Johnny 150. Pull the clevis pin in your second posting and slide the linkage over the pin hole. The shift rod will be free.

If you are planning on rebuilding the waterpump, you might pick up a service manual. There are some Orings and gaskets that need to be glued onto various parts of the waterpump housings. In addition, the key that drives the impeller must be locked into place in order to work properly. If you are not familar with this concept, it will be difficult to figure out. The manual will explain it all.

pdanker1

Recruit

Turned the bolt out of the shift arm, it must come all the way out as the post rod has a seat/grove on the side for the bolt. Could not get a 1/4 drive 3/8 socket in there I used a 3/8 combo. Place gear in either forward or reverse (I forget which) and the trim all the way up to allow adequate access to the bolt in question. In retrospect I believe the shift arm should be removed before unbolting the lower unit.
I removed the clevis from the posting rod. I removed the cotter key from the same piece - not necessary. There was enough slack in the post rod and the shift rod sway for the shift arm to slide off.
Once done I removed the 2 bolts I had holding the transom on Voila, Bob's your uncle, Shazam.
See pics.

Attachments

• Clevis removed from the second posting.jpg
    Clevis removed from the second posting.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 0
  • End of horizontal rod with.jpg
    End of horizontal rod with.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Not necessary to remove cotter.jpg
    Not necessary to remove cotter.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Shift arm removed.jpg
    Shift arm removed.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 0

pdanker1

Recruit

Thanks for the help.